We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hey first trip to phuket!

Melbourne, Victoria
3 posts
Save Topic
hey first trip to phuket!

hey everybody, brand new here! my girlfriend and i are planning a trip to phuket in november but we're still unsure about where to go. we've been looking at the burasari in patong but weren't sure if it'd be better to go down to karon or kata. if anyone can give me an idea of what each area is like that would be great. plus anyone know any good budget hotels down in karon or kata? the brochures don't really tell me much about that area.

really love the forum btw, the posts have been ace. keep up the good work!

Queensland...
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hey first trip to phuket!

Hi drlephd, have a look on www.Phuket.com. they have lots to choose from.. I can give you a budget hotel in Kata but doesn't have a pool on Jacuzzi. check out the Kata Minta. CJ

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
807 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: hey first trip to phuket!

Hi drlephd

We have just booked at the Kata Palm resort thanks to the reveiws from a TA member alansgirl, do a search here for her reviews and comments.

Were originally staying in Patong but realised Karon/Kata was more our thing.

We have booked a deluxe pool access room at Kata Palms for less than our original accommodation in Patong, suits us.

www.katapalmresort.com

Cheryl

Melbourne, Victoria
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: hey first trip to phuket!

thanks for the advice guys. what exactly is wrong with patong? people keep saying to keep away from there. is kata really that much better?

UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hey first trip to phuket!

Hi drlephd,

There is nothing wrong with Patong, I think it is good somebody has asked this. Have not been to Kata or Karon, so can not compare, but have been to Patong twice and going again this year. We stay at the south end, Amari Coral Beach, which is a 10-15 minute walk to the centre. You will read certain people, you know who you are, come on saying it is sleazy, tacky, dirty, the list goes on. You could go almost anywhere in the world and say that if you look for it, but you can also find some of the best restaurants in Phuket at Patong, Baan Rim Pa to mention one. You can find bars with live shows and various other shows if you look hard enough, we have not, conversely you can find bars where there are no bar girls and you can have a nice evening without seeing anything untoward, or you can watch the Thai Elvis impersonator, a side issue he is funny because he forgets the words on some songs half way through. I think the big problem with a lot of people is they confuse Bangla road with Patong, there is more to it that just Bangla. We are a couple, me celbrating my 40th this October in Patong my wife is 34, we like the fact that we can spend a night watching a transvesite show then spend a night having a £100 meal, then spend a night in a small outside thai restaurant which cost £5. I don't know how old you are but I think you will have a great time if you choose Patong, you can decide everynight to do something different. I am sure you will have a great holiday in Phuket wherever you stay, but do not be put off Patong, it is not the most popular beach for no reason, it is not just men looking for thai "girlfriends". I await the anti Patong brigade.

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
807 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: hey first trip to phuket!

Hi all

We are looking forward to experiencing Patong, but have decided to stay at Kata. We have not been to Phuket before so are just taking a chance with accommodation like everyone else. Actually wherever my husband and I go we have a great time meeting people and experience the culture. We actually got a better deal in Kata and thought it might be a bit quieter, so who knows!!!

I appreciate everyones comments and reviews and can't wait to go so I will have my own opinion!!

Cheryl

london
Level Contributor
389 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: hey first trip to phuket!

I totally agree with Mickt.....didn't find Patong sleazy at all. I agree that you can find all sorts down Bangla road, but you don't have to go there...there are loads of good bars and restaurants in Patong, and the bay is beautiful...particularly early in the morning when it's very popular with walkers and joggers alike.

Phuket has many lovely beaches and everybody has their favourites, but Patong is no different, just a bit busier.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,427 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hey first trip to phuket!

I agree..Patong is great..

RB2
Perth WA
Level Contributor
648 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hey first trip to phuket!

Mickt, you are spot on. Patong has a lot to offer and shouldent be judged by some activities on Bangla rd, which I think is fantastic, and certainaly doesent force you into anything that you dont want to do.

My wife and I leave tonight and staying in Patong and cant wait to be there. We are both 50 years old and find Patong to be the best place for a good holiday.

The restaurants and shopping, plenty of good bars and entertainment, it has it all. People, dont be put off by negative comments...Cheers.

Melbourne, Victoria
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: hey first trip to phuket!

hey thanks for all the comments guys. well i guess we'll be heading for patong. you go to phuket, you need to go to patong right? when it gets closer to the date, i'm sure i'll have more questions. in the mean time, anyone here going from the 15th to the 23rd of november and wants to hang out with a couple of 21 year olds?

new zealand
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: hey first trip to phuket!

Hi my husband and I got back from phuket, patong merlin beach 7 weeks ago and just loved it. We were worried that patong would be not our thing as we are not big drinkers and are wanted to enjoy each others company.

Patong is not in your face sleazy. The people are beautiful in personality. Humourous and kind and very accomodating. We felt we were king and queen while we were there right from the resort to the little side walk goods seller. They have such a happy personna about them.

Kata and karon beach is alittle out of the way from patong and phuket township which there is more shopping and restuarants and bars(lots of yummy food)! Try the locals restuarant across from the holiday inn and beside the '"Big O Top" cost us 60-80 baht a dish= 3 dollars NZ for a main meal. It was the best we came across and we ate in the resort restuarants and the local ones!! Water jug on the tables means its set up for the locals hence local prices as the thai's do not pay for water when paying for a meal.

We ate there 7 nights in a row in the end and never got food poisoning. Please try as it was very yummy. Theres about five kitchens in a row with tables and plastic chairs we ate with the one with red tablecloths.

Kata or karon will cost you more in tuk tuk fees to get around.

Hope this helps.