We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue Fever

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dengue Fever

Hello there! Is there anyone who can tell me if there is increase in Dengue cases in Phuket this year. I am going to there in July for honeymoon with my wife. What is the possibility percentage of contracting it? I am worried but I want to go and see that beautiful place. From all the articles that I have read I can conclude that it is usually confined to local outbreaks when a lot of people are crowded in one place and the mosquito bites many of them and thus spread the disease. I can say that if I am sticking to the resort and the island tours and fantasea show then I should be fine if I use mosquito repellent and the risk is very very low? Is the risk very low in this case?

Regards,

A J

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,531 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue Fever

Alexander J , you have 14 posts of which 12 are asking about Dengue Fever.

To be honest you seem so obsessed and worried about Dengue Fever I really think you need to find another country for you honeymoon.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,888 posts
1,619 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue Fever

...and a good Deet based spray can be a great preventative. Dengue is an issue in a lot of destinations.

Tommo

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue Fever

Thank you. You are right. I should not be that obsessed. I already booked the tickets and the hotel. I cannot change now. In addition to that they only alternative would be somewhere in Europe where it is going to be very expensive compared to Thailand. I already asked people who live in Thailand. They said that out of millions who visit Thailand every year only rare cases among tourists occur if there is no outbreak. I am looking forward to a wonderful honeymoon there. Any suggested sightseeing?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dengue Fever

You ask for suggested sightseeing.I have visited Phuket many times.A day trip to Phi Phi or Phang Nga Bay by speedboat is very worthwhile.Choose a reputable company which does not take too many passengers.Offspray Leisure operate such trips. www.offsprayleisure.com They are recommended by Lonely Planet and Rough Guide.For a romantic supper venue try Baan Rim Pa overlooking Patong Beach or Mon Tri`s Kitchen.They are both in the upper end of the market but this is your honeymoon.Have a lovely time.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dengue Fever

Thank you Vivianna. Such a helpful reply! I will definitely go on the speedboat trip. Hopefully my wife will be able to cope with sea sickness! Which one of the restaurants that you recommended is best for Thai sea food?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,007 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dengue Fever

Alexander J

Just to set your mind at rest, I have visited Thailand many times a year for more years than I care to remember sometimes with friends ad family sometimes alone and to date (even in years where Dengue has been reported as being high) none of us have ever contracted it, so still only a very small percentage.

As to sea sickness on the speedboats I am sure your wife will be fine as the boat is moving and so does not develop the roll that is the biggest cause of sea sickness. If she is prone to it though I would advise against taking her on a fishing trip where the boat moors up whilst people fish as this is where the roll sets in. If she does become queasy get her to focus on the horizon rather than the boat or the sea and it will be a lot easier.

Hope that helps and you have a great time.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dengue Fever

LondonChris_S... that is the most comforting comment I have ever received! Many friends of mine visited Thailand and had come back safe and sound with no Dengue. However, I needed to hear it from an expert like your case so I can be more sure that only very small percentage get it. Regarding the sea trips: no fishing trips . we are just going to do Phi Phi and Phang Nga bay. I read a lot of comments on Simba Sea company. I will try to book with them soon. I hope that they are good as tripadvisor members describe them. Thanks for your advise regarding the sea sickness and a big thank you for the advise regarding dengue fever. I am a person who get worried on anything and need someone to stop me worrying. lol.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dengue Fever

You definitely set my mind at rest. Thank you again!

australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dengue Fever

i think everytime we go there has been some kind of "scare" bird flu swine flu dengue fever and last year noro virus

happy to say on each occasion we have been fine

(touch wood)

just follow basic hygiene and you will be fine

enjoy your holiday

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,423 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dengue Fever

I find the advice to take a speedboat trip in stead of a bigger boat for a July trip really strange, and quite possible even unsafe.

Not only can speedboat trips lead to seasickness, just as bigger boats do, but the speedboats are IMO far less safe than the bigger boats, especially with unpredictable weather conditions like we have in July. Add to that that they are not comfortable in normal conditions, let alone in less favourable sea conditions.