We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Phuket from London

London England
Level Contributor
374 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Phuket from London

Hi

I have never been to Thailand but we are thinking of going. We want to go to Phuket to the Banyan Tree.

Is it advisable to stop over in Bangkok for 2 nights or is it feasible to go to Phuket without stopping over?

How long is the flight between Bangkok and Phuket?

Will it be worth the long journey?

Many thanks

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Phuket from London

It's feasible but you probably wouldn't want to after an 11 hour flight unless you get a really quick connecting flight. 3 nights is better as you'll have time to adjust to the time zone & the heat & do some sightseeing. Also consider 1 or 2 nights in BKK on the return leg...........

About 1 hour or so.........

Yes..........

London
Level Contributor
8,158 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Phuket from London

Last few times I have been Phuket have not stopped over in Bangkok. Bangkok to Phuket is only 1 hour so I find not really a hassle after 11 hours flight from London. If you get connecting flight with Thai air they have frequent service Bangkok to Phuket and I find no more of hassle than getting transport into Bangkok.

London England
Level Contributor
374 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Phuket from London

Thank you very much. I would much rather go straight to Phuket but needed to understand if this was possible.

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Phuket from London

Well, it would be a shame to travel all that way & not see the sights of Bangkok, at least once...................unless you intend to come back of course................

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Phuket from London

personall i would avoid bankok and connect with a flight straight down to phuket( 1 hour and 20 mins )

bankok is a dump (imho)

U.K
Level Contributor
252 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Phuket from London

You can connect straight down to Phuket but if you can spare a couple of days in Bangkok you should do it. To call it a dump is rediculous it is the most vibrant and cosmopolitan place you could imagine. From beautiful temples, great shopping some of the best and diverse food you could imagine and a fantastic nightlife top class music and some of the best hotels in the world. Sure there is smog and parts are a bit dirty but to dismiss Bangkok as a dump can only come from someone who really shouldn't leave home in the first place.

Phuket
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Phuket from London

As per previous post if you book thai to Phuket your bags will go straight through and on arrival in Bangkok they give you a sticker and bus you to departure area for flight down. If you book the 12.30 pm flight you will arrive in Phuket early to mid morning unless delayed. For return again there are two flights, I prefer the late evening one from Phuket, again bags can go straight through.

Would advise seeing Bangkok on either leg.

London England
Level Contributor
374 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Phuket from London

Hi

Thanks very much for all the advice, I am tempted by both options but you have definitely given me food for thought.

UK
Level Contributor
862 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Phuket from London

Another option open to you is to fly direct to Phuket with the charters such as Thomson or Airtours...would'nt want to do it in the economy sections myself due to the lack of legroom but might be acceptable in their premier class. Also a bit restrictive in terms of flexibility of number of nights in resort.

Is it worth the long journey...can't make my mind up...next time will be my eleventh time trying to find out.

p.s Bangkok is fantastic.

UK
Level Contributor
209 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Phuket from London

Thomson Fly are now doing flights from Mid Nov to end March (I think). You can also be flexible with dates etc and are not bound to 7/10 or 14 nights.

I only know as I am going with them this Xmas, and as someone else has posted - not looking forward to the cramped economy conditions........ BUT, from next year they are upgrading their lonh haul fleet. Too late for me but maybe good for someone else.......