We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time go to Pattaya, Need your advice please

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
1st time go to Pattaya, Need your advice please

Hi all,

I will go to Phuket and Pattaya at the end of Agust 2014. I dont know which the easy way to go from Phuket to Pattaya (I prefer by flight) no hassle. What do you think ? You might have an better idea and suggest. Please... Let me know.

Another question below :

1. Does anyone have information to pick up from the airport to hotel or better catch taxi or bus

2. Which is the good spot hotel (easy to travel around)

3. Any recomendation places to visit

Please help me :D Thanks

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,815 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time go to Pattaya, Need your advice please

You can't fly from Phuket to Pattaya. It will be a hassle to get between the 2.

My better idea would be to miss out on Pattaya.

1. Does anyone have information to pick up from the airport to hotel or better catch taxi or bus

A] FAQ Airport transfers is a good start. Getting a taxi from the taxi booth is easy.

2. Which is the good spot hotel (easy to travel around)

A] lots to pick from, do you want quiet, busy or middle?

3. Any recomendation places to visit

A] crieky so many! The Things to do link at the top of the full view page (not on app view) has a HUGE list.

Nottingham
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time go to Pattaya, Need your advice please

You can fly from Phuket to UTP fairly cheaply on Bangkok Airways, try on skyscanner. Then you share a mini bus with others to get into Pattaya. I did this a few months back and it's fine. There is a Bangkok Airways lounge with free snacks/drinks/internet at Phuket airport.

I would go to Koh Chang after Pattaya :-)

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
875 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time go to Pattaya, Need your advice please

From Phuket you can visit James Bond Island and/or Phi Phi both of which are a nice day trip. The main sightseeing attraction on Phuket itself is the Big Buddha, other than that it's more activities such as Dino Park Mini Golf (which is good fun for a couple of hours). There's the usual bars and nightclubs, if you want just a taster of ladyboy cabaret you could visit Cocktails & Dreams (free cabaret + normal drink prices) and if you want a full show there's Moulin Rose and/or Simon Cabaret.

Take a look at this map: http://goo.gl/maps/LPy7r

You could do an organised tour of the island or a DIY version. This would include Bug Buddha and Wat Chalong; a stop in Phuket Town particularly the area round Thalang Road - whilst there The Natural Restaurant is a popular choice. Perhaps a quick free "tour" of a Cashew factor - actually more like a 15 mins marketing gimmick but if you like cashes it's worth it. Then catch the sunset from a viewpoint.

A lot of people associate Pattaya with the go-go clubs and bars etc but the truth is there's some really interesting places to visit, Mini Siam, Temple of Truth, Nong Nooch Tropical Gardens, Floating Market, Buddha Mountain, Silverlake Vineyard, Anek Kuson Sala (Viharnra Sien) aka Chinese Museum + Wat Yansangwararam, Big Buddha, The Million Years Stone Park & Pattaya Crocodile Farm, Flight of the Gibbon, Art In Paradise etc.

The beach at Pattaya isn't particularly nice. Not when you compare it to Phuket or Samui, but you can get a ferry to Koh Larn and that's nice (I liked Tawaen Beach) or go to Wong Amat beach in Naklua.

If you want to try some authentic Thai nightlife then later on (after midnight) try Tamnan Kon E-san (near Hollywood Disco)... it's a proper Isaan style nightclub where you get a table and enjoy the live band and dancers etc on stage.

There are 3 large ladyboy shows in Pattaya; Alcazar, Tiffany and the newly opened Colosseum though that is towards Jomtien rather than central Pattaya. The shows consist of amazing sets and beautiful costumes, with ladyboys (not men dressed as women but transsexuals who are just as beautiful if not more so than many women). They perform well choreographed routines to both modern and tradition Thai and Western songs and there's also a lot of humour injected in to the sets usually with a fat man dressed as an ugly woman. To go to Thailand and not go to a ladyboy show is to not fully experience Thailand.

Nong Nooch is a good day out, but it is pretty much a full day including the tradition show - perhaps this show would be similar to the Alangkarn Show. It can be quite hot walking round the gardens so take water and maybe a parasol / hat to keep the sun off.

In that area there's also Buddha Mountain, Silverlake Vineyard, Anek Kuson Sala (Viharnra Sien) aka Chinese Museum + Wat Yansangwararam, but they could combine to a full day out also.

On the way to that area is Pattaya Floating Market. It can be a bit of a tourist trap but it seems very popular amongst women and is worth it if you're passing.

Sanctuary of Truth is Beautiful and takes a couple of hours for the tour - it's in the opposite direct to Nong Nooch etc though. My advice is save money and walk down from the entrance rather than riding as it's not far unless you're infirm. Btw it can be difficult to find.

I've not been to Ripleys but I'm told it's over-priced. Instead I'd recomend Mini Siam and Art in Paradise. Mini Siam get pretty hot so best in early evening when it's a bit cooler. Entry is only about 50bt and it takes a couple of hours to walk round. Art in Paradise I've not been to but a friend of mine got some amazing photo's but entry is 500Bt I think. I'd combine these with Temple of Truth early in the day, then Art in Paradise and finally Mini Siam.

Million Years Stone Park & Pattaya Crocodile farm is another half dayer. The stone park is quite small and the zoo part a bit sad but the crocodile show is quite something and you can get photo's with Tigers, though some people consider the place cruel so up to you.

This website offers big discounts on many attractions: http://www.hotels2thailand.com/

Rather than doing 2 beach resorts have you considered going to Chiang Mai instead of one of them?

Aussie
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time go to Pattaya, Need your advice please

I personally prefer Pattaya over Phuket if u are not into the beach scene...much easier and cheaper to get around, lots to see and do and cheaper.

We usually stay at the Sabai Lodge in the Sabai Wing...easy to get a bus down to the main area for 10 bt .

Lots to see , my kids love Ripleys and spent hours there..depends what you like, Sanctuary of Truth, Nong Nooch really worth going to , they have a cultural show, elephant show and heaps to see...but it is worth doing a full day. We went to the Floating market last year and while we did not buy much it was enjoyable .

The weekend markets are worth going to .

From Phuket you could fly to Bangkok and prebook a spot on Bells travel service bus from airport. Takes you to your hotel and about 200bht? last time we caught it. Just google them if u decide to do it this way.

But another poster suggested another alterative which might be easier than this way...

Have fun, you will enjoy it

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time go to Pattaya, Need your advice please

Hi Bennybuju,

what does meant by UTP ?

Where did u find mini bus to share with other else? how much does costs and how many people maximum in the mini bus.

Minibus is bit hassle if you waiting for another passenger :-(

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time go to Pattaya, Need your advice please

Hi Shane,

Which one good spot to stay. Patong or Bangla Rd ? How far Patong area to Bangla Rd ?

Its seem you have exprience from Phuket to Pattaya.

which is more expensive between Phuket or Pattaya (e.g hotel, transport)

Thanks

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time go to Pattaya, Need your advice please

Phuket at least 25% dearer for hotels, food and drink is dearer too.

Phuket 'local' tuk tuk up to 20x price of bahtbus in Pattaya.

Bangla Road is main entertainment area in Patong.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time go to Pattaya, Need your advice please

There are daily flights with Bangkok Airways from Phuket to Pattaya ( airport code UTP ) Airport, flight is about 90 mins

Edited: 07 July 2014, 14:11
Nottingham
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time go to Pattaya, Need your advice please

Hi,

U-Tapao Airport. You share a mini bus with others from the plane, all arranged when you get to the airport. Think it costs between 200-300 baht. There are barely any flights landing there so don't think you have to wait around for the mini bus to fill up. Pretty sure they drop you off at your hotel.

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
875 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time go to Pattaya, Need your advice please

hi Adelaide, Bangla Road is the main nightlife / bar area in Patong. It's also close to the beach. Patong is the liveliest resort in Phuket and popular amongst young people in particular. I stay near / on Soi Paradise as it's very convenient, 5 minutes from the beach, 2 minutes from the top of Bangla Road and 2 minutes from Jungcylon shopping center.

As you are going in August it will be low season and there will be many hotels at bargain prices - a couple of months ago I stayed at a place called Modern House on Soi Paradise for 500 baht a night. There's some photo's on Agoda and Booking.com but I would not book a room in advance in August, I would asked to be dropped at the entrance of Soi Paradise and walk around the small complex of Soi's until I spotted a hotel I liked at the right price. Remember ask to see a room before agreeing to stay.

There's also a nice place to eat, where many locals go called Sabai Sabai, just round the corner on the soi between C&N Hotel and Mr Goods Seafood. You can get a decent meal for under 100 baht and they serve both Thai and Western food. It closes about 20:30 though so don't leave it too late to eat.

There's lots of minibus stands when you get off the plane in Phuket. A ticket costs about 200 baht. You may have to wait 30 minutes for it to fill up and they will stop at a tour stop to check where everyone wants to go to plan a route and offer you tour packages (no obligation or pressure). That may take 15 minutes then it will take an hour to get to Patong, longer if you're the last drop-off (staying on Soi Paradise is usually one of the first drop-offs). A taxi would be 700-800 baht and take less than 1hr. If there's 2 of you I'd definitely get a taxi. You can arrange a minibus or taxi back from any of the many tour shops.

Pattaya is much cheaper to get around - there's a baht bus route for 10bt and taxi's / mototaxis are about half the price. The hotels are also cheaper though there's not such a big difference in low season / August.