We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Much Cash Should I Bring?

1 post
Save Topic
How Much Cash Should I Bring?

I will be traveling to Phuket and staying there for a month. This is sort of a vacation but at the same time it isn't, I will mostly be training at Phuket Top Team and I only dont have training on Sundays. I plan on doing other stuff also, but most of my time in Phuket will involve training. I was just wondering how much cash (USD) I should bring with me for like food, souvenirs or other living essentials, I will have a debit card and credit card but I have heard that I should not really use them.

Thanks In Advance

Edited: 04 July 2014, 02:26
Captain Cook, Hawaii
Level Contributor
107 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Much Cash Should I Bring?

Single guys in Phuket have plenty of ways to spend cash

suggest you bring plenty.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Much Cash Should I Bring?

Like bring as much as you like or as little as you like....like....I usually budget at $50 per day for meals,fruit and juices...Like I don't drink alkyhol....

Like you can't go wrong budgeting on $100 per day unless you're like a romantic and like a heavy drinker....

Have fun...!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Much Cash Should I Bring?

hmmm I dont know why you have been told that you should not use your debit card. Other than you will get charge 150-180baht for the use of the ATM and what ever charges your home bank chrges for overseas transactions. Many people you the ATMs as they dont want to bring that much cash, just use the same caution that you do at home.

As to cash or card, I prefer cash and exchange as I go and avoid the fees. But this will depend where you are staying. Are you in a hotel with a room safe to lock your stuff up, or are you in a training complex and sharing accommadaion?

Michelle

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,779 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Much Cash Should I Bring?

Hi

If room is paid $100 US a day should be fine as i assume if you are in training you won't be drinking very much

I only use a credit card for larger purchase's.

A credit card usually has safe guards and is better if card is stolen or skimmed

A debit card has no safe guards and a thief can drain your account.

be sure and inform your credit card or debit card co before you travel or you may not have access

I have a special debit card I use for travel I keep very little money in it when i need atm wirdrawal I go online and transfer the amount of money i want to withdraw that way no one can takemymoney if card is lost or skimmed,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Much Cash Should I Bring?

I dont think you will need $100 per day if you are there for training mainly. $100-120 a day is what I suggest for someone that is only on holidays so doing holiday stuff every day. I would think $50 a day ( if room is paid) and then allow $150 a day for yoour days off as you may do tours, and maybe a few $100 for shopping

Newcastle
Level Contributor
69 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Much Cash Should I Bring?

Please can I ask where is the best place to exchange cash?

I presume not at a hotel because of higher commission charges!

TIA

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,018 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Much Cash Should I Bring?

There are many exchange booths all over Patong?karon/Kata etc, have a look at the exchange rates they offer as you walk past & go for the one with the highest. Sometimes, there can be quite a difference between the rates offered.

As to how much cash to bring, there is no right answer, just general advice. I prefer to take cash & have debit/credit cards just as a back-up, as ATM & bank charges soon start adding up. Last trip in Jan/Feb 2014, I took £2000 in cash

8. Re: How Much Cash Should I Bring?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 06:16