We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will a standard taxi fit 3 Adults + luggage?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Will a standard taxi fit 3 Adults + luggage?

Hi everyone,

Last night I booked a standard taxi to transfer 3 adults + 2 large suitcases, 1 medium suitcase, and 3 carry ons (backpack, handbag, + one mini? carry on suitcase) to the airport. Will we fit? I am starting worry that we wont and would like change the booking in advance to better accommodate ourselves. What are the other options in Phuket? We don't want to catch a shared mini bus.

Thank you in advance for your responses

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Will a standard taxi fit 3 Adults + luggage?

Most taxis can only fit one large suitcase + small items in the boot due to the LPG/LNG gas tank

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,396 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will a standard taxi fit 3 Adults + luggage?

Pretty sure the taxi driver will squeeze it all in (probably by using the front seat so all 3 passengers in the back) but it will not be very comfortable, if you have a chance to change for a larger vehicle I would.

South Pole
Level Contributor
726 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will a standard taxi fit 3 Adults + luggage?

A private TA recommended driver in a van (or large car if they think it will all fit), with just you three in it, will charge you around 800 baht one way. Why would you struggle in a taxi ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,213 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will a standard taxi fit 3 Adults + luggage?

Hi, I would contact your hotel and ask what the price is for airport pickup. If it is much the same as a taxi, why not just book through the hotel. No stress, and great to have a smiling face when you arrive at the airport. I paid 800 baht

Viv

Kata / Karon Phuket
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Will a standard taxi fit 3 Adults + luggage?

Hi,

It will all depend if the Driver is using LPG tanks in the boot, if he is then you are going to struggle with that Luggage, and honestly you would probably struggle anyway. If you were asking at our Hotel I would recommend you book a bigger car from the comfort point of view. we do get customers turning up with even four people and luggage in a standard car but usually they have just carry on bags on shorter stays.

Regards,

Phil Hubbard

GM/Owner Villareal Heights Kata Beach Phuket

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will a standard taxi fit 3 Adults + luggage?

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your responses. My friends and I risked it for the biscuit and were squeezed into the taxi. The two larger suitcases were placed in the trunk with the cabin suitcase, and the medium suitcase was placed on the back seat in the middle. The rest of our carry on luggage were placed on our laps. The cost of the transfer was 600baht for 3 adults and we booked it from one of the tour agencies on Rat U Thit rd in Patong.

Our taxi driver was not using LPG tanks in his trunk so we were lucky. In the future I would probably book a larger vehicle to avoid disappointment from not being able to fit, and for a more comfortable ride.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will a standard taxi fit 3 Adults + luggage?

Hi nolongerjustkidding,

I thought we might have struggled in a taxi because of the possible LPG/LNG tanks as mentioned by gixxerk6 & Villarealheights.

8. Re: Will a standard taxi fit 3 Adults + luggage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 05:16