We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning a 5 day trip to Phuket to include Scuba

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need help planning a 5 day trip to Phuket to include Scuba

Hi guys,

Long time participant, first time poster. I've been planning a Phuket trip in mid September and I wanted to get some advise from you guys.

The three things that I want to do are:

- Phang Nga Bay

- Phi Phi Island

- Scuba Diving (Ideally at unique diving points such as Hin Daeng and Hin Muang where I can see some whale sharks)

How would I make this work logistically? I was thinking of the 5 days being there I don't know if I want to spend 3 full days (assuming flying in one day and flying out one day) on a boat. Sometimes scuba diving can be pretty exhausting, especially if you're taking a speed boat.

Should I just forget about diving at a more unique dive spot and dive at Phang Nga Bay or Phi Phi Island so I can have an extra day to do other stuff? I think Ocean Kayaking at Phang Nga Bay or in one of the Mangroves there seems like a lot of fun as well.

Let's start here. I haven't booked anything yet and I'm open to suggestions. Is there anything else that I should see or do? Which area should I stay considering that I will have to get to all these destinations?

Thanks fellow travelers!

Tim

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,372 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning a 5 day trip to Phuket to include Scuba

Hi Tim and welcome out of the shadows

5 days including fly in and out day is not very long, and I think you would be very tired after 3 full days of activities.

Phang Nga Bay is a must see in my opinion , its amazing scenery. I choose to go with the better operators, that yes cost more but you day will be amazing, with fantastic memories. Look up Phuket Sail Tours or their sister company Phuket Alternative Tours

http://www.phuketsailtours.com/

http://www.phuketalternativetours.com/

Not sure that Phi Phi is where you would want to dive, the dive shops would have much better site that they use. Can I suggest you email Phuket Scuba Club and get an idea of what dive sites that offer. Chantal and Kevan who run it are lovely people and will look after you very well

http://www.phuket-scuba-club.com/

Michelle

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
773 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning a 5 day trip to Phuket to include Scuba

If you like to go to Hin Daeng or Hin Muang you need to go for a liveaboard, by doing that you will get amazing dives and have a really good time on the boat. One of the best way of diving isto stay on a boat fora night or two.

agree with Michelle, contact Phuket Scuba club and Chantal will help you or try Oceanic divecenter where Rachel will answer and help you.

Both above will take good care of you.

Welcome to Thailand

Phuket
Level Contributor
577 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning a 5 day trip to Phuket to include Scuba

Hi Tim ,

I think Phang-Nga Bay is well worth visiting . No diving up there but beautiful scenery , a snorkeling stop en route and sea kayaking .

Hin Daeng & Hin Muang are great dive sites , however , they are very exposed and so most operators do not offer trips here during the low season (May - October) . Perhaps another forum member may know of a liveaboard operator going there in September .

The Phi Phi Islands offer good diving but best to check on the current weather conditions before booking this trip . Racha Islands and shark point area are also good options for diving at this time of year .

La Moet has given a couple of recommendations on who to contact for diving here in Phuket .

A couple of boat days and a day relaxing on land might be better than trying to cram to much inwith 3 full days on the boat .

Giles , Offspray Leisure

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,391 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning a 5 day trip to Phuket to include Scuba

Hi

I think Phi Phi is very overated, and the view you get when sharing the experiance with thousands of other tourists is not the one you see in the movies or the brochures!

Agree that Phang Nga Bay is worth visiting and a trip with Phuket Sail Tours or Phuket Alternative tours makes it awesome!

I also think you need to contact Phuket Scuba Club, they can sort everything out for you and are such welcoming and helpful folks!

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help planning a 5 day trip to Phuket to include Scuba

Hi Guys~ thanks for the wonderful information, I'll definitely reach out to Phuket Dive Club.

So far Phang Nga Bay seems like a must and I'll try to go Ocean Kayaking there. I'll reach out to Phuket Dive Club to see what they recommend, I think they'll be able to give me an idea of where to stay if I wanted to get a good dive in while visiting Phang Nga Bay for the day.

I can see why Phi Phi could be overrated, especially when it's packed with tourists. Phuket has been known to be overdeveloped and I think Phi Phi is one of those places that comes to mind. I'll lower that to the bottom of the list for the time being.

While I do this, do you guys have any recommendations on other activities that are worth doing?

Phuket
Level Contributor
577 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help planning a 5 day trip to Phuket to include Scuba

If you click on the Green 'Things to do' button at the top of this page and then of the 'Activities' button you will find a long list of reputable companies here in Phuket offering all sorts of trips and activities .

If you are looking to dive then staying in the Kata area is a good place to be as you would be located only 10 minutes from the pier where the boats depart from . Check out 'Villareal Heights' in Kata . Good reputation & service and good value for money .

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help planning a 5 day trip to Phuket to include Scuba

"they are very exposed and so most operators do not offer trips here during the low season (May - October) . Perhaps another forum member may know of a liveaboard operator going there in September ."

Since the national park there is closed till 15 October, I hope there will be no operators offering trips.

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help planning a 5 day trip to Phuket to include Scuba

Thanks guys! What's a good area to stay if I wanted to check out Phang Nga Bay and other areas in general? It'll be my first time in Phuket My girlfriend wont' be able to complete her scuba certification before the trip so I might miss out on the diving there this time. Looks like I"ll be spending a day in Phang Nga Bay and I'll explore other parts of Phuket on my free time.

Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
3,561 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help planning a 5 day trip to Phuket to include Scuba

Hello Tlau.

Maybe your gf can complete her certification with Phuket Scuba Club?

About where to stay. Most boat trips to Phang Nga Bay leave from the east coast of Phuket. Not many areas for tourists to stay there. Maybe ask your preferred provider which areas are included in their transfer service at no extra cost..

Typically transfers from Kata, Karon, Patong, Kamala and Surin are included in a tour at no extra cost. Other areas may cost extra.

Have a great holiday,

Mark.

Phuket Sail Tours.

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help planning a 5 day trip to Phuket to include Scuba

Thank you Mark!

She is getting certified locally with SSI and I think it might be too rushed to finish her ocean dives before our trip. If she finishes that's great, if not then I'll just have to go diving there another time.

How much do the trips to Phan Nga Bay usually run for standard tours? How much is it for semi-priviate tours and are they worth paying for? I've read that most tours operate at the same time so when you get there the places might be packed with other tourists.

Kata, Karon, Patong, Kamala and Surin seem like good candidates, but are they further from other places in Phuket which I might consider visiting? What's a good place to stay in general disregarding the potential extra charges for the car ride to the port heading to Phang Nga Bay?

I've also read about hiring a cab driver for the day. Do you guys know approximately how much this would cost? I think that'll be a good option to explore multiple places in one day.

Thanks guys, you guys are being extremely helpful.

Tim