We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Term stay 3-4 months

denver , colorado
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Long Term stay 3-4 months

I plan on staying in Thailand for 3-4 months . Bkk for maybe 1 week and phuket or samui for the rest . Which place is better ? How cheap can i expect to pay for a fan room , with private bath , hot water , possibly cable tv. How close to beach ?

John

Thanks for your replys. Do you think i might have some fun there ? oh yeah im a single guy going alone .

Whitley Bay, UK
Level Contributor
12 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Term stay 3-4 months

We have been to both phuket and Samui and I prefer Phuket. There seems to be more variety available.

Whilst Samui did have its share of backpackers, the main focus of the island appeared to be the honeymoon trade where as phuket appeared to have a more widely varied tourist base meaning that there was a more wide variety of accomodation, activities, food etc.

We are returning to phuket in july so i have been watching the tsunami repairs and hotel prices very closely. There are significant price reductions available on the normal room prices in phuket because of the reduce post-tsunami demand. I would say that your money will go further in Phuket than Samui at present. I have definately seem nice rooms in Patong Beach for 500-750baht. Try www.sawadee.com for price comparisons between the two islands.

Enjoy your stay!

2. Re: Long Term stay 3-4 months

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2007, 17:41
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Term stay 3-4 months

Some people like Koh Samui, other like Phuket, some light both or neither, it's a personal choice. You can get cheap fan rooms in both places, in Patong there are lots of guesthouses and cheap rooms, even shops rent out rooms for a few hundred baht. www.phuketgazette.net gives masses of information and also links for Phuket Guesthouses and budget accommodation, I agree try sawadee for Koh Samui, lots of cheap places that you can find all the photos and information, location maps and more, same for Phuket.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Term stay 3-4 months

For $15 you can get a/c, you'll probably need it!