We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay with family?

UK
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay with family?

Please help.

We are quite new to this area of the world only having visited Singapore before.

I really dont know where to stay next April with my husband and two children aged 12 and 10. We have about a week with 2 nights in Bangkok either side.

We like swimming and sunbathing, but also a bit of sightseeing with shopping and eating being my hobbies of course!

I have heard reports that make mw think that Patong maybe isn't for us and I like the look of the JW Marriott but it sounds a little too far away from civilisation.

Where shall I stay??

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
94 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay with family?

We (me, husband, son 13, daughter 12) were in Phuket during the end of June/early July and stayed at the Marriott Beach Club for a week and then for three days at the Sheraton Grande Laguna.

Both Marriott and Sheraton have excellent service and accomodations. However, the Marriott is farther away and there isn't shopping or dining close by.

For this vacation, we wanted to relax and didn't want the crowds, so the Marriott was perfect for us. We went into town (Phuket, Patong Beach, Tesco & Central Festival Malls) on two days to do some shopping, limited sightseeing, and dining and hired Mr. Mor to drive us around.

I've been trying to finish up my Phuket trip report (trying to edit it down as it seems way too long!) since we've been back, hopefully today or tomorrow, and will post it then.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,901 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay with family?

Hi Sraj, Club Andaman is a great place to stay, beautiful big tropical gardens, great swimming pools, activities for kids etc, its at the quieter end of Patong Beach, but next to shops, restaurants atms etc and over the road from the beach. I have more info on this hotel (plus a few others we have stayed in) plus lots of photos of the rooms etc

members.virtualtourist.com/m/b3082/160bcd/

Leicester
Level Contributor
449 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay with family?

Hi

My wife and I take our two kids to Kata which we find to be a perfect family location for us. I used to go to Patong when I was single but think its a little bit in your face although we always go there for an afternoon/early evening shop and eat.

Kata has a really nice beach and enough shops and great eateries to keep most people happy and a good selection of hotels usually in walking distance of everywhere in the resort. There are enough places to book any tour you like to any part of the island and I would have no hesitation in recommending it as a really good family resort and we hope to go again next April too.

Brisbane
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay with family?

I've been doing a bit of research over the past year and although I haven't been to Thailand yet, I would recommend looking into either 1. Le Meridian, 2. Twinpalms, 3.Sarojin. After all my research, questions, reading reviews etc, these 3 places have been outstanding over the past year. If Twinpalms - ask for a room with a tub. If Le Meridan - ask for a pool view as these will give you ocean views also. If Sarojin - ask for either room 3 or 4 as they have awesome views.

I agree with you in not staying right in Patong.

A site which is good for tours is www.phuket-adventures.com

5. Re: Where to stay with family?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 05:24