We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you buy half decent wine in Phuket ???

Sydney OZ
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Can you buy half decent wine in Phuket ???

Hi,,

Does anyone know where you can buy half decent wine in Phuket or should I be bringing over from Australia. I have heard its quite expensive in restaurants so do they let you BYO.

If you cant get wine can you get cheap Vodka anywhere .

We are staying in Kata beach area.

Thanks

H

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you buy half decent wine in Phuket ???

Yes, there is plenty of good wine in Phuket including a few Austalian wines which of course are the best.

There are several specialty wine shops, such as Wine Connections at Fishermans Way near Au Chalon on Chao Fah West Road. There is also quite a good wine shop at the Lotus shopping centre, and another called Promphan (or similar) just south of Central Festival on the west side of the bypass road . There are others marked on most tourist maps.

The cheap stuff starts at about 350 baht for a 2 litre bottle (Italian), but the better stuff is around 800-1,000 baht for a 750 ml bottle at the beginners end of the market.

I expect that any restaurant that serves wine is not going to let you bring your own, and will charge a heck of a lot more than you would pay at a supermarket. On the other hand, most small Thai restuarants are very easy going and I am sure would not mind you bringing your own. Just check to see if it is a muslim restaurant, because if so it will probably be a no alcohol venue. Also, a small Thai restaurant may not have wine glasses, but they will have glasses of some sort. You may also need to bring a bottle opener.

Whatever you choose, there is no need to bring wine from Australia.

There is plenty of vodka around.

Just make sure you leave some for the rest of us.

Nigel.

Phuket
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you buy half decent wine in Phuket ???

Most of the restaurants charge corkage for BYO which varies. Good range of wine & spirits available.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you buy half decent wine in Phuket ???

Yes, you can buy some decent wine in Phuket. The best I've found is at the Wine Gallery, located near McDonalds at the Tesco S/C. Another benefit of buying at this liquor store, is that they are able to sell outside the regular selling hours. There are laws that only permit alcohol to be sold during certain hours of the day (details on the link below).

There is also a Tesco liquor store that has some wines, but they're mostly low end to average stuff. Wine and champagne is expensive for what it is in Phuket. Spirits and beer are cheap, so be sure to pick up your wines duty free when you fly in.

Most places will allow you to BYO, just check before you go to be sure.

I have further information about Phuket on my Virtual Tourist pages.

members.virtualtourist.com/m/9045f/160bcd/

Sydney OZ
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you buy half decent wine in Phuket ???

thanks nigelw70 and athena,

It sounds like I will be drinking more beer and vodka than wine whilst in phuket.

All of these placed you can purchase wine are they close to Kata or are they in Phuket town?? If in phuket town how far is it time and money wise from Kata beach.

Athena, you mentioned you can get wine on arrival in phuket, are there some decent labels there for purchase.?

Dont worry nigel I will leave some for you!!! when are you going by the way.

H

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you buy half decent wine in Phuket ???

To be honest, I've not bought wine at the airport, I always buy champagne, as it's my favourite.

Don't panic too much about your wines in Phuket, you will find some and at prices that aren't out of control, just more expensive than Australia.

Your Vodka should be pretty cheap, I know that Gin in Phuket retails for less than half the price in Australia.

Sorry I'm not sure how far Tesco is from Kata, but it probably will be worth a trip - not just for the alcohol, you can check out Tesco Lotus as there are some great bargains there on toiletries, batteries and clothing. It's on By-Pass Road, which you'll probably drive along at some point on your trip anyway. There are other liquor stores around the Kata/Patong area, it's just that I don't frequent there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you buy half decent wine in Phuket ???

Hi the BIGH,

I always take half a dozen bottles of wine from home.

I think you are only allowed to take about two litres into Thailand. Customs aren't going to stop you if you have more. At worst they will charge you 30% duty on the extra wine. If it cost you $10-$15 per bottle its hardly worth there while or the paperwork. Just keep you receipt just in case.

Last time in Phuket I saw a bottle of Hardys R&R Chardonay that retails for about $5-7 in Australia for equiv of $35.00 AUD in a restaurant.

We always like to have predinner drinks in our hotel room, so its nice to have a good drop of wine.

Lake Tahoe, CA, USA
Level Contributor
299 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you buy half decent wine in Phuket ???

I plan to pack a suitcase with 6 - 8 bottles of wine, secured in the styrofoam sleeves that they are shipped in (we have LOTS of wine). Unfortunately, that will only last about a week (a couple of bottles are earmarked for Richard and Megumi), so I guess it will be beer the remainder of our trip. The best thing is by the time we finish the wine, we'll have an empty suitcase for purchases -- and I suspect the majority of what we buy will be lighter than wine bottles!

Ao Chalong / Rawai
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you buy half decent wine in Phuket ???

Hello All

Since there is a 120% duty on imported wines I always recommend that you bring your special brands from back home. It is definatly cheaper and I have not yet heard of someone being charged duty on bringing their own into Thailand. Eachmember of your group can bring a couple of bottles and if you are just a few over the limit then no big deal.

If weight is a problem then you will have to pass the "Promphan" market about one kilometer on the right side of the road after the Lotus traffic light on your way to your hotel in Kata. They have a good selection there for the best price that I have found as a local. You can get cheaper brand Vodkas for as low as 179 baht and a box of 12 leter bottles of "Beer Chang" to stuff into your hotel mini bar is only 375 baht a box or the price of 2 small bottles at your hotel after the 17% tax and service charge.

At the larger wine shops such as "Athena" has recomended you will definatly find a broader selection but their prices are higher. If you are comming in from the airport in a meter taxi then have your driver stop along the way as you will not find many choices in the Kata area.

"nigelw70" has made a good point about the corkage charge and as long as you are not in a simple Thai restuarent you will have real wine glasses.

"tahoetravellers" no need to worry about running out so quickly and as sone as you start running low we will find an excuse to drink your more then welcome gifts with you and will arrange to get you to a place where you can find some good California vintages to enjoy.

Regards From Phuket

Richard & Megumi

Sydney OZ
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you buy half decent wine in Phuket ???

Wow really vaulable info!

Thanks athena, holidaytime40,tahoetravellers and phuketrichard!

I am thinking I will bring quite a few bottles from home and will pack them into a backpack although I am not sure you can take bottles with liquid onto the aircraft now.

I will also stop at the Promphan market on the way to the hotel as well to stock up.

I sound like a real boozehag but really just like to sip a nice wine or champagne watching a sunset or with dinner.

Also phuketrichard we are thinking of doing the rehab tour with you but wasnt sue if I need to book in being peak of peak time 29Dec to 8 Jan. Please advise

Thanks all

H

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you buy half decent wine in Phuket ???

Hi again H.

Just to clarify, Lotus and Tesco are the same place, but it is more commonly known as Lo-Tus (Thai Pron.).

Promphan is further on (south) of the Central Festival intersection, on the by pass road.

All these locations are probably 20 - 30 minutes from Kata/Karon, however Promphan, Central (sometimes pronounced Cen-Tun, don't ask why), Big C and Lotus are all on the one stretch of road (Bypass Road) so you can easily do a few together. My suggestion is Lotus for general shopping perhaps and Promphan for the booze, Central if you want to spend a lot of money shopping or see a movie on the cheap (120 baht) if it is a wet day.

Have a drink for me, I think it will be next year before I can get back there.

Nigel.