We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket & Pregnancy

Narrandera
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket & Pregnancy

Hi There.

We booked approx 4 months ago to travel to Phuket early 2007.

We are staying at the Treetops Arasia.

Since then i've been lucky enough to fall pregant.

I will be six months pregnant by the time our scheduled trip comes around.

Assuming me and my bump are healthy we hope to still go. Is this wise?

I was just interested in hearing anyone's experiences of holidaying in Phuket while pregant.

Will the heat be a real drain for an Aussie?

If anyone has any tips or suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket & Pregnancy

My wife and I went to Thailand and Singapore while she was pregnant, but not Phuket. As a general rule, assuming all is going well with the pregnancy and the doctor says no problem, there is no reason not to go. Good medical care is available in the unlikely event you need it. There is very little to worry about and nothing I can think of that could be a problem, that would not still be a problem if you were at home.

The potential downsides are a long airplane trip, which may be less comfortable then it would otherwise be. Thailand is almost always hot (even in the so called cool season, at least to my thinking) but it is not hotter than an Australian summer, for the most part. An air conditioned hotel will provide a relief. Since it was my wife who was pregnant, I do not really know what limitations you might face with activities. You may need to be content with a slower paced vacation, but maybe not. That really has nothing to do with being in Thailand since you would face the same limitations at home.

In short, provided you are comfortable with the idea I see no reason not to have a great vacation. Assuming it is your first child, enjoy the vacation while you can.

UK
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket & Pregnancy

Can't comment regarding pregnancy but I found Phuket to be extremely clean, a fellow tourist fell and broke his arm whilst we were there and he said he he has never been treated so well by medical staff nor has he ever seen such clean hospitals.

Regarding flying, I would check with the airline to see if you need a doctors note to confirm you are fit to travel.

Australia, melbourne
Level Contributor
299 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket & Pregnancy

Hi Heidmay,

You'll be fine to fly.

I use to work for one of the Aust. Airlines, we would allow women to fly up to 36 weeks. After this point in the pregnancy we would require you travel with medical documents stating you would be fit to travel.

4. Re: Phuket & Pregnancy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 19:15