We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

baggage on Jetstar

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
baggage on Jetstar

Anybody help with a baggage question.... I know that Jetstar allow 20kgs per person for checked luggage but does it matter how its distributed? I have a large suitcase that will fit most of the families belongings. if that one bag weighs more than 20kgs will it matter even if we have no other bags to check in or is it that any one bag cannot be over 20kgs??

Queensland...
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: baggage on Jetstar

It is not only weight they go by, but size of the case.

remember someone has to handle the case for loading.

hervey

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: baggage on Jetstar

When travelling as a family (or any group) you can 'pool' your luggage allowance together (eg 4 travellers = 80 kilo allowance). It is fine to take a large suitcase (they tend to be more concerned about dimensions on the US routes but allow more weight!), however no single piece can exceed 32 Kilos due to workplace, health & safety regulations.

So in short, yes it is fine to take 1 large case as long as it weighs under 32 kg. Generally we tend to take a large suitcase full of empty bags on the way over and fill them up on the way back!

Cheers

Catherine

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: baggage on Jetstar

Thanks for that. I keep reading about the good shopping so maybe I should take two half full suitcases so I have room to fill them up!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: baggage on Jetstar

so do jetstar have a limit on the size of an individual suitcase, I've been reading their baggage conditions and there only seems to be size limits on cabin baggage, does anyone know if there is one for checked luggage?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: baggage on Jetstar

You will be fine with any large suitcase on the Asia route, the only limits that Jetstar appear to make is for bulky items (over 2 metres). The airlines treat the USA route differently as they work on a 'piece' system and there are size limitations although the weight allowance is a lot more generous.

The shopping is great and if you find you buy a lot (which you probably will), you can pick up a cheap bag over there.

Have fun.

Catherine

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: baggage on Jetstar

Thanks Catherine.

7. Re: baggage on Jetstar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 18:19