We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reactions to vaccinations or did get a preventable illness?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
reactions to vaccinations or did get a preventable illness?

Anyone ever had a vaccination and wish that they hadn't? Has anyone had children have a vaccination and have side effects (other than the usual sore, red arms etc). Also anyone not have a vaccination and did get an illness that could have been prevented with a vaccine before hand? Thanks

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: reactions to vaccinations or did get a preventable illness?

Not sure what kind of replies you are looking for or for what purpose?..

There will always be exceptional cases.... are you making up your mind about what vaccinations/prophylactics to use or conducting a survey?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: reactions to vaccinations or did get a preventable illness?

No, not conducting a survey, just interested in peoples experiences. An earlier thread showed that a great deal of forum members didn't have any vaccinations at all. I was interested to hear if anyone had actually got an illness that could of been prevented by a vaccine. Some people also stated that they wouldn't get vaccinated and I am interested in their reasons.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: reactions to vaccinations or did get a preventable illness?

I shall be watching with interest. Nothing like "real hard data".

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: reactions to vaccinations or did get a preventable illness?

Not hard date, or statistically significant, but personal anecdotal report.

My husband, daughter (then 6) and I all had vaccines a few years back. We each had a DT booster (diptheria/tetanus). No reactions, no illnes.

We each had the two doses of Japanese Encephalitis. Daughter no reaction. Husband huge (bigger than a golf ball) knot on his arm for a month with moderate pain there. Me, incredible headache at the back of my head and down my back....reported as a vaccine reaction by our physician.

We each had Hepatitis A vaccines, 2 of the 3 doses before travel were completed. We each got Hep A in Bali in spite of the vaccine and careful hygiene and eating. My husband was sickest, and the doctor told him we were all lucky to have partial immunity as without the vaccine at all, he would likely have been much more ill. We all got the third shot, even though we were probably immune through having had it...didn't want to repeat the experience.

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: reactions to vaccinations or did get a preventable illness?

Call me strange, but Phuket is one of the healthiest places I have ever lived.

As always, I am not a doctor - and I don't want you to take my advice for any children - but if you are adequately vaccinated at home - I can't really even guess what you would need here, for a short term visit.

Victoria
Level Contributor
523 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: reactions to vaccinations or did get a preventable illness?

I agree with Ted. We are all well vaccinated at home. Both my Husband and I checked with 2 doctors and the advise we were given was have Hep A, Typhoid, Tetnus (booster if needed) and Polio. We have 2 kids and they had the Hep A and Typhoid. None of us had any bad reactions. I can only suggest go with what feels good for you and your family, be careful what and where you eat and you wont have any problems. We had the time of our lives in Phuket and I was happy to be a pin cushion before I left. We have adult friends who have been to Phuket and didnt have any vaccinations and were not sick at all. I guess its a personal thing and what makes you feel right. Anyway have a great holiday!!!

7. Re: reactions to vaccinations or did get a preventable illness?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 23:16