We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone stayed at Tropical Garden Resort Kata Beach????

wales
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Anyone stayed at Tropical Garden Resort Kata Beach????

Thinking of staying @ Tropical Garden Resort Kata Beach for my first anniversary. Planning on going end of Feb. Any thoughts/views????

Much appreciated - never been to Thailand before.

England
Level Contributor
256 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone stayed at Tropical Garden Resort Kata Beach????

Stopped their a few weeks back.

The hotel is located at the far end of Kata beach just as it starts to rise up the hill to Kata Noi beach. The hotel is set into the hillside so has a lot of steps but all floors appear to be accessible by lifts.

The beach is just across the road and a small lane. The road does get busy at times and is one of my main gripes with Kata in general.

If you book, it would be worth paying extra to guarantee a see view room on the higher floors. YOu get a great view of Kata beach from here.

The worse rooms are on the very ground floor in the block nearest the main road. Only view is of the car park and the road and it does suffer from noise a bit in these rooms. We spend the first night in these but got moved from then on.

The rooms are a good size and include a very reasonably priced mini bar (35 baht for a chang). Breakfast was reasonably good - bread in particular was good, egg station, fresh fruit etc etc.

Two pool areas that never seemed overly busy. The location is good because the southern end of Kata has more shade and some nice restaurants located right on the beach.

Only ate lunch at the hotel a few times but was good thai food - just

more expensive than just outside the hotel.

Overall it is a three star and that is about right. Its all about balance you can spend more on a better hotel but if you spend the majority of time on the beach and out and eat out of the hotel - whats the point? For instance the Kata Thani is a better hotel but would have cost about £600 more for the three of us (two adults one child).

Any more questions let me know.

wales
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone stayed at Tropical Garden Resort Kata Beach????

Thanks for the very useful info. Do you know if I can upgrade my room when I get there?? And if so roughly how much for 14 days??

I'm def going to book after xmas. Can't wait. Phuket sounds perfect for what I'm looking for in a relaxing holiday.

England
Level Contributor
256 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone stayed at Tropical Garden Resort Kata Beach????

Yes you can as long as they have a room available.

I did not enquire but if you look on the hotel web site the difference in room rate is something like 400 baht from memeory, so logically this is probably what you would have to pay, per room per night.

I suppose you can request a higher floor when you book it and you may find the room is okay when you get their.

The thing that surprised me about Kata was how busy it was. The beach is great but has rows of sun beds running the entire length. It is also starting to feel a bit like a european resort. E.G restaurants advertising chicken cordon bleu etc.

That said I still enjoyed it and would not rule out going again.

You could find a hotel with a quieter location (and by that I mean outside Kata, Karon and Patong) but then you tend to have to travel on an evening for a bit of nightlife. Again it is all about balance.

A great restaurants is Tom Yam Goong on the hill going out of Kata to Kata Noi about two minutes walk from the hotel. Yellow chicken curry was the best ever. The restaurant on the beach next to the Ska bar was very good and excellent for lunch.

Anymore questions let me know

Leicester
Level Contributor
455 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone stayed at Tropical Garden Resort Kata Beach????

Stayed here in February with my wife and 2 young daughters and really enjoyed it. The seaview rooms on the higher floors are definitely worth it and were large enough to accommodate all of us without being cramped ( if you want to give me your email I will send you a view from the room ). Service is very good and they have a choice of 2 pools.

Kata is one of the quieter resorts but has more than enough going on day and night to keep most people happy and the restaurants are excellent, particularly if you like seafood.

The hotel also has a sister hotel ( Serene Resort ) a few minutes walk away and we actually preferred to use the pools there as they had a bit more shade than the Tropical.

Have a great trip

Jordan

wales
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone stayed at Tropical Garden Resort Kata Beach????

Thanks very much for your help and advice. This forum is very useful. After reading some of the topics I feel like I've already visited some of the places mentioned. Phuket sounds awsome. Can't wait to try the food and meet the people.

I'm getting the impression that everything is quite cheap there. I usually go on all inclusive holidays so I don't have to worry about money etc. Do you know if it's best to take travellers cheques or withdraw cash when I get there???

Going to book soon so will ask if I can book a room near the top floor. Thanks again for your help.

Is the beach at Kata very rocky and only suitable for snorkelling or can you bathe there too??

6. Re: Anyone stayed at Tropical Garden Resort Kata Beach????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 00:15