We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Similan By Speed Boat & Advice for my Itinerary

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
188 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Similan By Speed Boat & Advice for my Itinerary

Hello gang,

I need a little help when it comes to finding a good guide and getting good prices for tours. There are 5 of us total. Here is my schedule thus far...

May 2nd

Arrive phuket 8:00 am check in at the Holiday Inn

Pickup for Hongs By Starlight 3200 THB per person

May 3rd

Check out of hotel and check bags at front desk

Pick up for Phi Phi Islands By speedboat 2200 THB per person Simba Tour Company

Return around 5pm and get picked up for transport to The Sarojin

Checkin the Sarojin around 7pm

May 4th

Pick up for Similan Islands by Speed boat with Khao Lak Discovery 2900 THB per person vs. 8100THB per peroson for the Sarojin boat...

Is this a good price to visit the islands for snorkling?

Return to Hotel in the afternoon

May 5th

Limestone Lake tour pick pick up for one day explorer $1200 THB per person plus transport.

May 6th

Checkout of hotel and go to airport. Depart for Bangkok 8:30am

So far this trip is looking expensive! For 4 full days with some meals included it is around 10,000 THB per person. Does anyone know a tour operator that could book all these activities? Would they even give a reduced price? We want to see a lot on our short visit.

Also who could I get to take us from the Holiday Inn to the Sarojin and Sarojin to the airport? There are 5 of us so a Taxi may not work.

Thanks for your help!

Ernest

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,810 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Similan By Speed Boat & Advice for my Itinerary

Wow,

That is a busy schedule! Doubt whether you would better the rates or get a "package" deal for them all as some are proprietary e.g. Hongs by Starlight.

As for transport HI to Sarojin to Airport I picked this up from another forum for a taxi driver based in Khao Lak. Worth dropping him an Email or contacting him when you are at the Sarojin. He might have two cars or access to a bigger one for your party.

"As previously posted the official rate is 1500 Baht. I was able to negociate a rate or 1000 Baht but it took half an hour and was a pain. Later, I used a Khao Lak based taxi driver (who drove me from Khao Lak to Ko Lanta for 3000 baht).

On behalf of FTers I negociated and he agreed to pick people up for 1000 baht at the Phuket Airport. His english is good and he has a new car with good A/C. It would be a little small for 4 passengers, but workable. 2 or 3 is very comfortable. When he drove me to Ko Lanta (5 hours each way) he brought his brother for company, so if you need all the seats tell him in advance. He will also drive you in to town from LM for 300 one way or 500 Round trip. Slightly more than the hotel shuttle, but much cheaper than the hotel taxi.

His name is: Thanawat Chouleak

Phone number is: +66 084-0606887

Email: wata_20@hotmail.com

If he doesn't, I'm sure he "knows a man who does." :)

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
279 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Similan By Speed Boat & Advice for my Itinerary

That's a really busy schedule.

On our recent trip, some of our favorite time was spent lounging in Khao Lak.

If it were me, I'd skip Phi Phi. The snorkeling will be better at the Similan Islands. And, perhaps consider doing an overnight at the Similan Islands. They have bungalows as well as tents for accommodations, which will be far less than the Sarojin.

If you are arriving from Orlando and then going straight to the Hongs by Starlight, you have an extremely long day ahead of you. But if you think you're up for it.

To get to Khao Lak from Phuket, I'd look into renting a car. We hired a taxi to take us to Khao Lak, and then ended up renting a car in Khao Lak anyway (Sarojin is about 20 minutes from town, although they do have a shuttle). The car for the few days was not more expensive than the airport transfers from Khao Lak. And, driving in Khao Lak was far less scary than would be in Bangkok.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Similan By Speed Boat & Advice for my Itinerary

We arrive in Singapore April 31st for a couple days rest before we depart for Phuket :)

As for a car there are 5 of us with luggage would a large vehicle car rental still be our best option?

Also Similan Island overnight tour/guide recomendations?

Thanks!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Similan By Speed Boat & Advice for my Itinerary

Anyone else have some insight? Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,810 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Similan By Speed Boat & Advice for my Itinerary

For Similan Islands from Khao lak have a look at:

mykhaolak.de/dive-center/khao-lak-dive-cente…

and click on the links of the various Dive Operators.

Perth
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Similan By Speed Boat & Advice for my Itinerary

hi ernest,

the prices you mentioned can definitely be bartered down, even john gray's. we ended up paying 2800 for john gray's, 1200 for phi phi, and 2800 for similan islands. you must definitely go to similan islands. it was the best day of my trip! lovely tour guides and snorkelling was awesome!

cheers

Adelaide
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Similan By Speed Boat & Advice for my Itinerary

Hi Jadsheen

Do you mind me asking how you got the John Gray for 2900bht (is this a seasonal price) because we booked through Richard for April 2007 and have been quoted 3450bht. Which for 4 of us makes a bit of a difference.

Thanks

New Zealand
Level Contributor
96 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Similan By Speed Boat & Advice for my Itinerary

Try asking for a cash price

Perth
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Similan By Speed Boat & Advice for my Itinerary

Hi Ernest

We went to Carolina's Travel, which is near the Banana Disco to book our tours. We had contacted Suranya before arriving and confirmed all prices and so when we got there we didn't have to bargain. Actually, when we first emailed her, she gave us the 2800 price so we didn't even have to barter for that. She can be contacted on carolinatour@yahoo.com. Just print out a copy of the email and they will give you the prices agreed to. We asked for a further discount because we booked several different tours with her and she gave it to us. I'm sure you could try the same.

Another couple we met on tour paid 2900 for John Gray's and they just went to a kiosk and bargained for that price. I'm sure you can barter it down as 3450 is the listed price on the John Gray's site.

Cheers jadsheen

Adelaide
Level Contributor
240 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Similan By Speed Boat & Advice for my Itinerary

Thanks Jadsheen

I have just emailed caroline tours for a price.

I wished that I saw your comments on Similan Islands before I had booked all our accommodation.

We are doing Limestone Lakes for 3 days and then going down to Patong. Should had stayed an extra night in Khao Lak and gone to Similan from there. Oh well, we will just have to come back another time - I don't think we will have time to fit it all in this holiday.

Thanks again

Chris