We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Card Fraud Warning

ireland
7 posts
Save Topic
Credit Card Fraud Warning

Hi,

Recently returned from honeymoon in Phuket and Bangkok. My bank has just contacted me stating i have been victim of credit card fraud and i feel it may have happened whilst away. Credit Card limit was exceeded to the tune of €5,500 within a few hours. I think I will be able to get redress from the bank but might take a while Only Used 4 atm's to withdrawn baht for whole trip and was pretty careful and didn't find anything suspicious at these points. Used cash everywhere else. The only other place I used by credit card was at the 2 hotels when the reception just asked for pre-authorisation of card on arrival even though i paid for everything by cash. Has anyone had similar experiences with hotels in either bangkok and phuket. These are well know across asia. Wanted to contact hotels directly or just put it down to one of those things that happens.

adelaide
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit Card Fraud Warning

Yes Funny that =2 of my friends had a problem with the same resort =Horizons Spa at Karon and also at the duty free in Phuket airport.

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit Card Fraud Warning

I've had this situation happen several times over the last 5-6 years, though never on Phuket. It is a problem everywhere these days.

I'd vote for using cash as much as possible. Your ATMs should not present a problem. My last visit to Kuala Lumpur I was asked for pre-authorization with my card and I refused and then was requested to put up just a small amount of cash instead (about US$50). Did that so I wouldn't have to worry about my cards.

BTW - all four times I have had this problem, my bank(s) handled it very well and I never had to pay even one cent.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit Card Fraud Warning

When exactly was this? I am asking, because it is known that a gang intercepted phonelines to the cc companies some months ago, but they have been busted.

If this is more recent, that means something new is up.

Agree with Ted, I don't think it is the ATM's, but the cc authorisation.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
364 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit Card Fraud Warning

Happened to me in April as well...and again only used credit card at 2 hotels and duty free......

At the time when I posted there were quite a few other people with similar stories, so I guess it's fairly common.

We are going back in April 07 and this time it will be cash only everywhere!

Again, bank rectified the problem for me in a few days so no real harm done, just a bit of inconvenience.

-James.

ireland
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit Card Fraud Warning

Thanks guys,

It happened end of november. Its good to hear or maybe not that some of you have had similar experiences. First time it happened to me so was just a bit uncomfortable. No hotels are getting near my card on next visit.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit Card Fraud Warning

just imagine the number of people who don,t read message boards that are getting scammed !

i read somewhere that some us banks are refusing to allow the use of credit/debit cards in thailand now (only thailand btw)

Singapore
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit Card Fraud Warning

Over in Singapore, warnings have been put up around ATM machines to be careful of card scanners which look like they're 'part' of the ATM machine, but are actually fixed in front of the actual card reader so that it looks like it's part of the machine itself (but can be later removed by the criminals). These scanners/skimmers will record the data on your card strip. Someone nearby will take note of your PIN number when you enter it in, and then they use that information for criminal/fraudulent purposes.

Some good advice here:-

…scotsman.com/scotsman/…

RB2
Perth WA
Level Contributor
648 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit Card Fraud Warning

When this was happening last year I decided that I would only take my credit card in case of an unforseen incident.

I have never used my credit card to pay for anything in Phuket, it is only a backup.

I was asked as usual at the Patong Merlin to give it to them so they could take an imprint of it, I said no you cant and they said ok that's fine.

Just say no to anyone that want's to take your credit card out of your sight, not on.

Cant go wrong with cash in my opinion....Cheers.

Santa Cruz, Cal
Level Contributor
815 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Credit Card Fraud Warning

I had this happened to me as well never let the person processing your card walk away from you or leave your sight and make sure they scan your card in front of you and scan it only once, I think I got it buying something at the hotel gift shop on my way out ( had to go to the front desk to process card)

wales
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Credit Card Fraud Warning

Do they use chip and pin in Phuket??