We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats the A$ worth on the street?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Whats the A$ worth on the street?

Hi,

Current exchange rate on notes in Sydney is 25.7 THB to the Australian Dollar - can anyone tell me what the current local rate is on the street and any favourite money changers - staying near Kata Noi next week.

Many thanks!

adelaide
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats the A$ worth on the street?

rate as from 28/12/06 27.848 to the aud $ change your Aussies $ at the airport or any of the money changers in Phuket you will find it jumps between 27=28 ==godd value .

RB2
Perth WA
Level Contributor
648 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats the A$ worth on the street?

If you do all you calculations on 28 Baht then you cant go wrong.

Up to your bargaining skills after that to keep the cost's down.

Have fun.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
219 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats the A$ worth on the street?

Don't exchange money in Australia - the rates are crap!!

As suggested, budget on about 28THB to the $A and you won't be far off the mark.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats the A$ worth on the street?

totally agree with the above advice, exchange rates in oz are terrible (banks are making too much money!!).

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats the A$ worth on the street?

So would it be best to take some Aussie dollars and then change it at the airport or should we not take any cash and just withdraw cash from the ATM when we get there? I assume there are ATM's at the airport? Will my National Australia bank debit card work in the ATM's over there?? If we take Aussie dollars and change at the airport, is there a limit to how much cash you can bring into the country?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
468 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Whats the A$ worth on the street?

Hi Wells

I would take a combination of cash and cards. Your National card will work in the ATM's but just ring your bank to make sure. I found that my card worked in some of the ATM's but not others. So if one doesnt work just try another. Its got to do with which bank ATM you are using

Murf

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whats the A$ worth on the street?

Thanks for that Murf. We're ringing the bank today to check it all out.

Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whats the A$ worth on the street?

Hi Wells67

Our NAB is a viza card and will work in an atm that has Plus, Cirrus or Viza listed on it. when using a saving account they charge $4 per transactions, if getting a cash advance on a credit card it $4 or 1.5% of yourwithdrawl (whatever is highest) when using your crdit card to pay for something is a straight 2.5%. Would love to compare what they told you, as I have had different answers each time I rang the bank *L*

Thanks

Kristabelle

perth..WA
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Whats the A$ worth on the street?

is it best to use atms at the airport??? i too am wondering about the money side of things...

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whats the A$ worth on the street?

Kristabelle, went to the NAB today. We've opted to get a totally separate visa card that is a debit card. It will have a $500 limit but we will transfer our own money across to this account as we need (we're taking our laptop) and just use it as a debit card (so that we can use it at most ATM's) and not use it as a credit card at all just a way to access our cash at ATM's. Also opted for a totally separate account so that if anyone got access to it they couldn't take out all our money as we'll keep that in our normal account but not take those cards with us. We'll be charged $4 everytime we withdraw cash from the ATM.