We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can you organise metered taxi for non airport trips?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
can you organise metered taxi for non airport trips?

I have already organised transfers from airport to hotel and back again so don't need to get one of the metered taxi's for that but can you somehow contact the metered taxi's to do other trips like Bang Tao beach to patong and Karon to phuket town etc or are we just going to have to rely on tuk tuks? Also, are there any metered taxi's that wil fit a family of 5 or again will we need tuk tuks so we all fit in? (I have organised Mr Mor for a day but just wondering about the other days that we have organised anything)

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can you organise metered taxi for non airport trips?

I must say that we have not seen many metered taxis around apart from the airport. The odd one maybe driving thru Kata. They would fit 3 adults in the back & one in front.. The tuk tuks are everywhere & we always rely on them unless we have hired our own vehicle. We also found the air conditioning in the Taxis isn't the best as they are old cars. At least with the tuk tuks they are open so you get the fresh air. If it rains the Tuk Tuks have plastic covers that pull down so you won't get wet. CJ

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can you organise metered taxi for non airport trips?

ok, thanks CJ (again!)

London
Level Contributor
773 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can you organise metered taxi for non airport trips?

On our first trip we used a metered taxi for the airport to hotel. The guy had a card, or wrote his name on a bit of paper, so we could contact him again for other trips. We didn't, as we found Mr Mor and other drivers near the Cape Panwa. So even if you have your airport transfer sorted, you could just walk over to the metered taxi stand and get a card from one of the guys. The problem seems to be that the hotels discourage them from touting for business outside hotels, which is a shame as it then leaves tourists with fewer options, or the possibility of being ripped off. I imagine it's because they'd prefer you to use their own (very expensive!) transport.

4. Re: can you organise metered taxi for non airport trips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 04:17