We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The beach may be the clincher : Patong or Karon?

Adelaide
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The beach may be the clincher : Patong or Karon?

Well, its down to the Holiday in Busakorn (Patong) or the Movenpick (Karon) for us and the kidlets (10 &11). Both hotels are accommodating to children, rooms look pretty good and TA reviews are generally complimentary.

What I need now is some good advice. As well as travelling with the kids my sister and hubby (no kids) who is turning 40 will be with us. We all like a drink (especially at pool bars!), but are not party animals. We all enjoy a good time and love good food - and we know that doesnt always mean the most expensive.

I plan on taking sis to a spa for her 40th. We also plan to do much more than hang out at a resort all day and I dont see us really making much use of any 'kids clubs'. I want them to get a bit of a dose of culture from another country (even if we are going "western style" generally).

So bearing all of the above in mind, - which beach? Reading various sites indicate Karon, but given that it is so close to Patong, I wonder if there is really a world of difference?

Am overloaded with info, but would love opinions of past visitors.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The beach may be the clincher : Patong or Karon?

Only my opinion but Patong was just too much for me. we've just returned from Phuket (yesterday) and Karon was great. We visited Patong (twice) and that was enough. We found plenty to do while staying at Karon. (our kids are 13,11 and 9, and I celebrated my 38th there too!), and personally yes I felt there was a world of difference!

manchester
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The beach may be the clincher : Patong or Karon?

hi, i have to agree with the above. Our family stayed in Karon last August and i found the beaches in both Karon and Kata much nicer than Patong. Karon for us was handy as it was only 10mins down the road from Patong and cost around 150-200 bhat by tuk tuk. We will be staying in Karon again in April.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The beach may be the clincher : Patong or Karon?

If you are at Karon Beach try the Body and Mind Spa - very luxurious and pampering. I think their website it www.bodyandmind.com

We loved Karon Beach over the Patong area, much quieter, and Karon Beach is huge.... there should be some photos in my blogs on it. Just bear in mind if the kids are going to the beach alot that Karon Beach is a shore break, which is a little different to the lovely beaches in Adelaide! I wouldnt let them go alone unless they are confident swimmers.

Australind- WA
Level Contributor
86 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The beach may be the clincher : Patong or Karon?

Emjay

We are staying in Karon for 7 nights and the kids x3 love the beach sorry to be thick but what do you mean by a shore break?

Trish xx

Boston
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The beach may be the clincher : Patong or Karon?

KARON, dont have to even think twice. Patong is for backpackers and not very appealing. Karon is a massive beach and much better for families. Book it, you will not be disappointed.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The beach may be the clincher : Patong or Karon?

Thanks for all the helpful replies. We have finally decided - Karon Beach and the Movenick. (husband most relieved I have finally made a decision).

EmjayReet, thanks for the spa tip, will follow that one up. By the way -what/where is your travel blog? I would love to show the kids some pics of Karon Beach - much prefer real photos than the 'glossy travel shots'.

Thanks K-wilyaroo

australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The beach may be the clincher : Patong or Karon?

we just returned from staying at the movenpick in Karon beach and we loved it. The Karon beach is much quieter and nicer than Patong.

The accommodation options at Movenpick are outstanding.

You have mande the right choice.

8. Re: The beach may be the clincher : Patong or Karon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 00:20