We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water cave tour

Perth, Western...
4 posts
Save Topic
Water cave tour

I've heard that you can go for a tour through the caves by canoe in Phuket.

Can anyone advise if it is better to book over there or through our travel agent in Australia before we leave?

Any other reccommendations for 'must do's' in Bangkok and Phuket would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

Erin

Melbourne
Level Contributor
468 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Water cave tour

Hi Erin

Book your tours when you get there, they are much cheaper. The travel agents charge a heap extra.

You will need a few days notice for the cave tours, but all the other ones dont.

Dont book the tours through your hotel either as they also charge more. There are a lot of tour desks in the streets but shop around amongst them. You do not pay the price printed on their brochures you can bargain for a better price on them all. Grab a whole heap of brochures and take them back to your hotel then work out which ones you would like to do.

Pauline

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Water cave tour

Hi Erin, as advised in previous thread, best to do the booking when you are here, you will be able to see for yourself, and with a cool heart and smile, do a bit of price negotiation, though keeping in mind safety issues also, no point negotiating, then the price is agreed then to your horror, find that with that price negotiated, it comes without life vest.

As you are in Phuket forum, may I recommend other "must do" for you:-

a). Besides going on the tour, and on a canoe to explore the limestone caves, in Ao Phang Nga; around this area, also check out Ko Phing Khan (popularly known as James Bond Island), across from Ko Phing Khan is Ko Tapu (an island shaped like a big nail), and also the Thai Muslim Village on stilts at Ko Panyi;

b). After a day tour of Ao Phang Nga and the above mentioned surrounding areas over here, have a rest at the beach; then following day-

c). A day out to Phi Phi group of islands- Ko Phi Phi Don and Ko Phi Phi Leh. Swimming and snorkelling is perfect at Ao Maya, located on Ko Phi Phi Leh (this is the location scene for the movie: "THE BEach)

d). Then, on another day, you can do a beach safari along the west coast of Phuket, starting at the North- Hat Mai Khao, Hat Nai Yang, Hat Nai Thon, Hat Bang Thao, Hat Laem Singh, Hat Surin (HAt Pansea), Hat Kamala, HAt Patong, Hat Karon Noi, Hat Karon, Hat Kata, Ao Katha Noi, then finishing with sunset watching at Laem Phromp Thep, then going slightly South Eastly direction to Hat Rawai for seafood dinner overlooking Ao CHalong.

e). If you are into nature trails, you could also head for Khao Lak NAtional Park and/or Khao Phra Kaew Forest Reserve.

Close to Khao Phra Kaew is also Phuket's Gibbon Rehabilitation Centre.

f). And finally of course for some retail theraphy-there are the street market stores along Beach Road at Patong (Thanon Thawiwong), and also NIght Bazaars at Rat U- Thit Road. Shopping centres in Patong are Ocean- two outlets, one almost at the end of Soi Bangla,a nd the other along Beach Road, after Holiday Inn Hotel.

g). In Phuket town, there is Phuket's largest shopping mall- Central Festival, and along the same Highway # 402, North of Central Festival are Tesco Lotus and Big C Super Centre.

Then, still in Phuket town, there are many market stall on these following roads- Thanon Montri, Phang Nga, Ranong, Rasada.

And of course, if you wish to visit some temples(wat) in Phuket, noteworthy ones are Wat Chalong and Wat Phra Sang, and also on the way to Phang Nga province, there is also a wat housed in a cave.

If you have plenty of time to spare, depending on duration of your stay, you could also take a ferry to Krabi and have some time on its beaches, most well known is Ao Nang, and also Krabi's mangrove forest, or for perfect snorkelling (and even scuba diving)- the nine islands group, aptly called Similan Islands Marine Park.

Finally, if you are into some clean, professional cabaret performances, two places that come to mind are Simon Cabaret (on the road from Patong to Karon) and Fantasea (on the road to Kamala).

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water cave tour

We did the "johns Grays Hongs by starlight" sea canoe tour. Its definately not to be missed. You can book direct on their website. Other company's try to copy this tour but if you want something special (and safe) do this one. I booked before we left Australia, they only have 24 people on each tour and I only had four days available so didn't want to miss out.

hk
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Water cave tour

I'm going to Phuket with my 6yrs old son on coming 17th, and would like to ask for your very kind advise for what should going to do, and how to; if you have the deatils of any activities, pls tell me.

Thks a lot.

Ching

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,892 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water cave tour

Hi Ching and Ezza,

John Gray Sea Canoes Starlight Tour is a must, if you are going in low season I would book over there, definately not through your travel agent.

A sailing day with Phuket Sailing Tours is another good one to do, theres ATV Tours, the Elephant & Gibbon Centre, Friday Night BBQ and much more

Have a look at my link below for lots of info, prices and photos of good things to see and do in Phuket (and Bangkok) plus info on shopping

Cathyy

www.cathyandgarystravelpages.com

6. Re: Water cave tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 16:18