We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electrical Plugs

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
88 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Electrical Plugs

Which plugs are used in Vietnam-is it the Asian plug or the European plug? Thank you,

BMT, Central...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Electrical Plugs

There are two types predominantly in use in VN.

One is the familiar flat 2-pin North American type (NOT 3-pin) and the other is the Euro round 2-pin. These are commonly combined in outlets.

In developements involving Singapore based builders and architects the loonies have introduced thw UK monster 3-pin with an integral fuse.

In ALL cases (where you are likely to travel) the voltage will be 220V 50Hz - so don't go buring out your 110V gear.

Adapters and transformers are all available over here in the markets so don't go wasting your money on some expensive 'travel kit'.

London
Level Contributor
285 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Electrical Plugs

S-N thw is thE

Sorry I could not resist.

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Electrical Plugs

Hi tik,

It may be worth you considering a " multinational type" adaptor plug that fits almost anything! I bought one last year ---whilst there are 2 types as previously stated , over the years I have found an extra 2 types ---very old, and on occassions, I have been in a hotel that boosts the 2 types in one room!

Needless to say , this was not a 5* hotel----but VN is full of surprises!

plover

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Electrical Plugs

Sorry Tik,

A typo ---boasts not boosts!( previous post)

plover

BMT, Central...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Electrical Plugs

PR:

I was typing in the dark - on my pocket computer.

Plover:

The favourite 'adapter' I use are two bare wires with soldered ends - fits all devices, all over the world. But you should have a little bit of electrical knowledge.

Thank goodness the American telephone jack is in such wide use, makes modem connections easier.

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Electrical Plugs

Hi S-N,

I have used your " 2 wired trick" plenty of times in my working life ----normally with a good set of insulated gloves!

Funny, but you are right!

plover

7. Re: Electrical Plugs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 06:24