We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam scooter advice

2 posts
Save Topic
Vietnam scooter advice

Looking for some advice about driving scooters in Vietnam. My boyfriend and I are currently in Hanoi and are looking to maybe scooter down the coast to Saigon. He has ridden scooters a small amount in Thailand and Laos but not loads. Is it safe to drive one scooter with two people and two backpacks? We both have the osprey farpoint 40L so not the biggest bag. Any tips on route planning or general safety would also be helpful. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
Saigon Phu Quoc Resort
557 Reviews
Phu Quoc Island, Vietnam
Laos
Laos
Asia
8 replies to this topic
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam scooter advice

If you're unlicenced my advice is to not do it. The fact that you're inquiring tells me that you either didn't know or don't care (like so many others).

Unless you're both victims of modern time's obesity epidemic a normal 125cc bike will be up to the task. Is it safe? Not really. But young people are indestructible, I know.

If you just go south on ah1 you'll go where millions have gone before, and the journey quickly gets old and boring. Your backsides will likely feel the same.

The alternative routes are longer, but less trafficked and arguably prettier.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
394 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam scooter advice

Why don't you go by public transport from A to B and hire scooters to explore the area when you are at each place. I did not realise that you can now rent scooters in Hanoi and return them in HCMC

Mentioned in this post
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam scooter advice

Don't do it. Its not for novices and even expert riders will find it harrowing some days.

Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Vietnam scooter advice

If you need to ask you have not done your home work so don't do it. One example is --the traffic light in your direction is green and your clear to go." NO" it just means that light is green it has nothing to do with any road rules !!!. Having ridden in India, Cambodia, Thailand and Bali I would say Vietnam is the worst if your not experienced.

Kev.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vietnam scooter advice

It is very dangerous and not safe with a long routine .

Hung Le

Netherlands
Level Contributor
877 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vietnam scooter advice

amen to that!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,418 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vietnam scooter advice

check with your travel insurance - will they cover you? ... because many insurance companies get right out of having to pay up because in the fine print it mentions 'illegal activities' - riding without the correct licence is deemed illegal and you will get dropped like a hot potato. Worst case scenario your family & friends will be starting a go-fund-me page to get you (or your body) home. Don't do it!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
904 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vietnam scooter advice

Don't even consider it as a possibility. You say that you are in Hanoi right now, you obviously know how chaotic it is on a scooter. And the distance you are talking, you do realize that it is something like 1700 km between Hanoi and HCMC?

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Vietnam scooter advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted