We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria and food poisoning

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Malaria and food poisoning

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are spending a week in Vietnam and leave in a few days. We will be basing ourselves in Hanoi while making trips to Sa Pa, Ninh Binh and Ha Long Bay.

This is a bit of a last minute trip and I am wondering if there are any medications or health precautions that we should take.

I have read conflicting opinions about malaria online and as we will be spending two days and one night in Sa Pa I'm curious if malaria tablets are necessary?

We are aware of Dengue and are packing bug repellent (40% DEET) and long clothes for the trek.

Also, we are really looking forward to trying the street food in Hanoi but would hate to end up with food poisoning on such a short trip.

Any advice on how to prevent this and over the counter medications to pack?

Thanks.

13 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
21 reviews
11. Re: Malaria and food poisoning

Myself and family always eat raw vegies and fruit and have never been sick in many trips apart from the rare bout of diarrhoea which an immodium tablet fixes up. You can always go to a local pharmacy for issues and they will sell you a remedy for next to nothing. PS - never look in the kitchen.

Australia
Level Contributor
689 posts
55 reviews
12. Re: Malaria and food poisoning

Odette B

I've never ever had any issues with salad or raw vegetables ..they put a bunch of raw veggies in PHO and a few other dishes, so yummy. Also Ive never had an issue with Ice. The fish in Vietnam is fabulous... I'm not vegetarian but I'm not a big meat eater I just don't like it, but the seafood.. Is so good.

To me an upset tummy from change in diet is maybe constipation or diarrhoea and tummy grumbles,

Full on food poisoning you can have a fever, a lot of vomiting and diarrhoea and cramps and you feel like death confined to your room, ..I've only been sick once in 5 trips.

Australia
Level Contributor
689 posts
55 reviews
13. Re: Malaria and food poisoning

Oh as for their kitchens trust me you don't want to see the inside of one in Australia either, ..

Reply to: Malaria and food poisoning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted