We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not sure about itinerary ?'s and logistical planning

Level Contributor
424 posts
9 reviews
Not sure about itinerary ?'s and logistical planning

I am traveling with my 75 year old aunt. We have started working on an itinerary that looks like this:

Arrive in Hanoi in the evening and then 1 full day in Hanoi

Next day go to Halong bay for an overnight cruise.

Next day fly to Da Nang for 2 nights in Hoi An

Then via Hai Van pass we go to Hue for 2 nights. (its really only a day and a half by the time we arrive.the following mornig we would fly to Saigon where we would have 2 full days and nights.

From there we fly to Siem Ream for our last 2 days. My aunt wants to go there.

I'm wondering if it's worth the time to go to Hue?

I feel like we have a lot in traveling within the country that may be taking away from actually SEEING the country I just am not sure about distances and times. we are looking at February.

I would appreciate any feedback as far as what to cut or where to add. We are interested in culture, FOOD, historical sights and seeing the beauty of this country. Is this itinerary spreading us too thin? Thanks very much!

8 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
8,924 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Not sure about itinerary ?'s and logistical planning

You're right.

Way too ambitious.

Especially if you have a long international flight.

Also when in February?

The fog could be an issue in the bay.

John

Edited: 16 October 2018, 17:45
Level Contributor
424 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Not sure about itinerary ?'s and logistical planning

So based on the time required to travel between all those stops where would I benefit from cutting out?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
8,924 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Not sure about itinerary ?'s and logistical planning

Ha Long or Hue, or both. :(

On the other hand, you can fly Da Nang - Siem Reap, so if you want to chance the weather, you can skip Sai Gon (HCMC).

John

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
10,349 posts
4. Re: Not sure about itinerary ?'s and logistical planning

"I feel like we have a lot in traveling within the country that may be taking away from actually SEEING the country..."

Yes, that's exactly what you have.

So, you have about 10 nights? And 6 places for those nights?

I think you need to cut your destinations in half. As to what to cut, well that's really up for you guys to decide.

The good news is though, that if you do that, you'll actually end up seeing more.

Scott

Edited: 16 October 2018, 20:45
Level Contributor
424 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Not sure about itinerary ?'s and logistical planning

As far as weather, would mix March be better?

I'm considering going to Siem Reap after Hoi an and skipping HCMC. I think we might prefer an extra night in Hanoi especially since we arrive there and will have some jet lag to adjust to. It seems more quaint and less commercial.I really want to do the overnight cruise in Halong Bay. It's very unique.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: Not sure about itinerary ?'s and logistical planning

Post #4 is absolutely right.

Don't make the all-too-common mistake so many first-timers do, trying to cram in as much as possible in limited time.

Bear in mind that travel in SEAsia is slow and time-consuming, so you'll lose the best part of a day getting from one place to another.

At the moment, 6 places in 10 nights, including travel, isn't impossible but very rushed. More just 'seeing' rather than 'experiencing' and relaxing.

Level Contributor
424 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Not sure about itinerary ?'s and logistical planning

I'm leaning towards cutting out HCMC. I thought I really wanted to see Mekong Delta and the floating markets but the more I read it seems like the true markets are dying and it's basically a tourist trap. Is this accurate? Are there other floating markets in any of the other sites I'm going to?

As far as a big city I have New York so it seems I would miss out the least if I skipped HCMC to add some more time to other stops. I

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
8,924 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Not sure about itinerary ?'s and logistical planning

There are good authentic floating markets in the Mekong, but they are further afield. But you don't even have time for the ones nearer to Sai Gon.

John

Reply to: Not sure about itinerary ?'s and logistical planning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted