We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 days in Vietnam, late May, early June

Richmond Hill...
Level Contributor
798 posts
1 review
12 days in Vietnam, late May, early June

We are travelling to Vietnam in late May to early June, 2019. I understand that most places will be hot that time of year.

We will be in the country for 12 full days, not including the day we arrive and depart. The places we'd like to see are HCMC (day trip to Mekong Delta/Floating Market and Cu Chi Tunnels), Hanoi (day trip to Halong Bay), Hoi Ann, Hue and My Son.

Is there any advantage in travelling from Hanoi - HCMC or HCMC to Hanoi at that time of year. If we travel HCMC to Hanoi, it puts in Hanoi in early June. I've read that the weather in Hanoi isn't the best in June. Travelling HCMC to Hanoi works better for our international flight connections.

Any advice of the subject will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

10 replies to this topic
Hanoi
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: 12 days in Vietnam, late May, early June

Not that hot : Big hat is Julay and August.

One day in Halong is an heresy ; it takes 5 hours RT to go Hanoi-Cat Ba and 6-7 Hanoi-Halong City + one hour to board the junk and reach the limestone peaks area, so you cruise just for a few hours. Besides, you miss the most magical; spend the night on board in the middle of the bay. TWO days/one night on board

My Son takes half-a-day from Hoi An

This said, your programme misses the most stunning, the northern mountains (Sapa, Bac Ha, etc.) and the marvelous "Halong Bay on Land of Tam Coc. The South being less exciting, I would just visit the North and the Center. If you insist on the 3 regions, then you have to fly Saigon-Danang and then Danang-Hanoi, which adds to the cost

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
10,371 posts
2. Re: 12 days in Vietnam, late May, early June

You're there for less than two weeks. It won't matter if you go North - south or south - North.

And yes, at that time, it will be very hot. And being very hot, it will slow you down when it comes to doing things.

Trust me. ;-)

Your 'day trips' of Halong Bay and the Mekong, (going to be tough fitting in a floating market in a day trip) will take up entire days. Your Cu Chi Tunnels and My Son trips will take up a good half a day. And with the heat, you're unlikely to be up for much else afterwards.

That leaves you with eight days for HCMC, Hoi An, Hue and Hanoi; which really isn't anywhere near enough; but you don't really get eight days as we haven't factored in travel time between them.

Make sure you don't spread yourself too thin. ;-)

Scott

Hanoi
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
80 reviews
3. Re: 12 days in Vietnam, late May, early June

NOT "very hot" in April ! The average temperature is 25-28° in Hanoi (less in the mountains of course) and 30° in Saigon, both with little humidity. Very hot (40° and plus) is July and August

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
10,371 posts
4. Re: 12 days in Vietnam, late May, early June

"NOT "very hot" in April !"

Why are you talking about April?

Scott

Hanoi
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
80 reviews
5. Re: 12 days in Vietnam, late May, early June

You are right, my apology ! This said, May and June are not "very hot" , basically the same temperatures as in April. However, May sees sporadic rain (at the end of the battle of Dien Bien Phu, the soldiers of both ides had water up to their knees in the trenches). June is perfect

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
10,371 posts
6. Re: 12 days in Vietnam, late May, early June

"You are right, my apology !"

Accepted! ;-)

"This said, May and June are not "very hot""

Are you just talking Hanoi?

I'm talking, in general, all over Vietnam.

Scott

Hanoi
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
80 reviews
7. Re: 12 days in Vietnam, late May, early June

Well, everything is subjective ; some people cannot support 30° (with the global warming, they better get used to it), those who have known 40 and plus feel great at 30

The temperatures I give is for Hanoi and Saigon ; cooler in the mountains. The general consensus is that April and June are perfect everywhere in Vietnam

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: 12 days in Vietnam, late May, early June

You should depart from Ha Noi to HCM, cause in early of june, its will start the high season for domestic travelers in the north.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
8,157 posts
449 reviews
9. Re: 12 days in Vietnam, late May, early June

I don't think it matters which way you go as it is only for two weeks. I would think twice about a day trip to H Bay as it is 4 hours to get there and 4 hours to get back. In both directions the bus stops at a huge souvenir market. It is a long day. You can get overnight packages for a little more than $100 (or at least 2 years ago you could )

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
8,931 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: 12 days in Vietnam, late May, early June

Sorry to say that Iarsay is incorrect about the weather in Ha Noi and Sai Gon; especially as the OP had mentioned late May, early June.

For actual historical weather data of either place, check out a website like this one:

https:/…

Also, have a look at the humidity level and the heat index.

https:/…question651.htm

https://www.weather.gov/arx/heat_index

There's practically no difference between the two cities during that period of time.

The average temperature is simply the temperature shortly after sunrise and around sunset.

But it rises quickly with the sun.

And the humidity level (which is usually higher in Ha Noi though the temperature is usually lower) make it feel hotter than it actually is.

There are days with 100% humidity (or close to it) in Ha Noi.

That means exactly what one of the above-mentioned website said, that your shirt will cling to your body as a wet rag.

With 12 days, even discounting the HOT, HUMID weather, I wouldn't suggest more than two regions.

Regard,

John

Reply to: 12 days in Vietnam, late May, early June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted