We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problem with hotels fully booked?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Problem with hotels fully booked?

Hi guys,

Has anyone had any trouble booking Hotels of their choice throughout Vietnam especially 3-4 star hotels. I started booking well over six months ago and all my first hotel options seemed to be fully booked.

In Hanoi we looked at the Melia and Guoman and all rooms booked out unless we wanted to upgrade to a suite etc. Even in Hoi An we had to go for a higher class room and in Saigon we are staying 3 nights and one night of our hotel accommodation is waitlisted. Usually the hotel won't accept your booking unless they can confirm all the nights?

Is it because their is a shortage of quality 3-4 star hotels and Vietnam is the latest new destination?

Interested to know has anyone else had these problems???

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problem with hotels fully booked?

are you trying to book direct with the hotels or a booking agent ? booking agents only get a certain amount of rooms alotted to them , so this might be why your having trouble , try a different agent .

cheers

batt

CRB-CXR/VVCR, Khanh...
Level Contributor
846 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Problem with hotels fully booked?

Welcome to a hot market. Biz types are complaining there is a shortage of rooms.

Lower your star-ratings and you will find space.

Are you heading for the beach or the town when visiting Hoi An? There is a 5-kilometre difference. If in the town, you will need a pool.

What are you looking for in a hotel? List your desires and it will be easier to make suggestions.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Problem with hotels fully booked?

I am booking through an agent but I did try through the internet and found a problem as well.

We had no problems in Cambodia as there are a lot of upmarket hotels to choose from. There were so many especially in Seim Reap it was hard to decide.

Vietnam seems to have a shortage of as one of the posts said in business type hotels. There just aren't many 3-4* hotels to choose from and found Saigon was the only place that had more to choose from.

I suppose Tourism has just started to boom in Vietnam.

CRB-CXR/VVCR, Khanh...
Level Contributor
846 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Problem with hotels fully booked?

In Hoi An one great hotel is:

Nhi Nhi Hotel

60 Hung Vuong

Hoi An, Quang Nam

Tel: 0510-916-718

E-m: vancamdn@yahoo.com

E-m: letannhinhiha@yahoo.com

< www.hoiannhinhihotel.com >

In HCMC check the < www.IndochineHotel.com >

Hanoi
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Problem with hotels fully booked?

If you book too close to the check in date, you will surely meet this problem. But if you book at least 2 months in advance, you will find what you want. (With some hotels, however, like Church hotel, it seems fully booked year round.)

Booking with a travel agent is better than booking directly with the hotel, as they have a contract with each other. The hotel might keep the rooms for the agents. A travel agent always know how to find a good similar hotel for you if your first option is full. Have fun!

CRB-CXR/VVCR, Khanh...
Level Contributor
846 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Problem with hotels fully booked?

Hanoi84:

You said: "Booking with a travel agent is better than booking directly with the hotel, as they have a contract with each other. "

Some might have a contract but even the outrageously priced Exotissmo is complaining that hotels don't honour contracts.

So suggesting plain travel agents have contracts doesn't mean too much if they are not honoured. If you search on this forum you will find others complaining of broken reservations.

The key is flexibility, being prepared to accept alternative properties that offer superb service but lack the right number of stars.

One of the qualifications for gaining star ranking is the humble bathtub.

No bathtub, no stars.

Most people can handle the 'shower room' and therefore a greater number of hotels will fit your profile.

melbourne
Level Contributor
608 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Problem with hotels fully booked?

I've had that situation before ,where I have contacted hotels directly and been told they were fully booked and then doing a google search and getting a room with tthe same hotel by booking through

Hotel club . Other online agents said they were also fully booked. I just kept searching and eventually found one with vacancies.

Darlek is right it's usually the more upmarket hotels who seem to do this. However some of the more popular hotels that are recommended here on trip advisor seem to also be filling up fast. These are the smaller boutique type ones also .

And Yes Vietnam does seem to be the latest new destination. It is amazing how many people I've come across recently who have just been or who are intending to go.

Cheers ( only 11 weeks to go!!!) Marian

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Problem with hotels fully booked?

holidaytime,

VN has only 20+ 5 star hotels ( growing)--the3-4* hotels are largely controlled by agents(worldwide)----you have little negotiating position with these hotels ---I am wanderering along as I have done for years staying quality 2-3 star hotels----at this time of year there is an abundence of hotels----2-3*----but 6 * service---lovely places to stay!---friendly staff---happy places to stay!

When thinking and travelling VN at this point in time you must think differently to travelling other countries!

I have had an easy run this year(as usual)---at this point in time ,its easy to book as you go!

Good Luck, happy travelling

plover

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,280 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Problem with hotels fully booked?

No problems with rooms.plenty around,read forum rating on hotel rating

Lower your stars rating:There are plenty of hotels with 3* rooms without the 3* rating

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Problem with hotels fully booked?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments. I tried to book these hotels 7 months ago? I just think the hotels I wanted are also in every brochure and on every internet site as well.

We have got accommodation confirmed but just not the hotels we originally wanted.

I was Just seeing if anyone else had same problems thats all and alert other travellers that if they wanted accommodation at a specific hotel that are well known they will have to get in fast.

I understand there are plenty of cheaper hotels available and if we come back to Veitnam after this trip we may look at this.

Cheers

Only six weeks to go now...........Can't wait........