We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchange rates of American dollars in vietnam

SA
Level Contributor
49 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
exchange rates of American dollars in vietnam

Leaving shortly for vietnam and trying to decide on whether to exchange money here or there. Can anyone tell me the excange rate for american dollars at present in vietnam. Are you able to exchange australian dollars in vietnam for dong as well, if so what would be the rate? Appreciate any advice.

1. Re: exchange rates of American dollars in vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2007, 13:32
Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
592 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: exchange rates of American dollars in vietnam

There are ATMs everywhere, so securing Dong is easy. However, I found that the ATM charges on both ends seemed to cancel out any savings from getting the official rate. I wound up usually exchanging dollars at 16000 dong to one$ at hotels-this seemed to be more cost effective than the ATM. I also used a Capital One Visa that imposed no fees for foreign purchases and charged at the official rate.

pgh, pa
Destination Expert
for Da Nang
Level Contributor
2,726 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: exchange rates of American dollars in vietnam

Uni,

The Vietcom banks I used charged nothing and my bank charge was minimal. Check your bank at home before you leave. Large denominations of bills in good condition are best and you get a better rate, why?, I don't know.......Rates at banks are best I have found. Usually larger hotels give you the going rate, some with a small fee.

Drifter

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: exchange rates of American dollars in vietnam

For exchanging money, you should have no problem exchanging Australian dollars for VND. US dollars are more widely accepted throughout the country but you'll be fine with your own currency. If you are from Australia, you'll probably want to avoid ATMs as the fees are very high.

5. Re: exchange rates of American dollars in vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 15:15