We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Maria - Ha Long Bay

Manchester
Level Contributor
458 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Maria - Ha Long Bay

Just thought i would put something on the forum about our recent trip on the Santa Maria.

I know there have been several other people saying how much they enjoyed this boat but we would also just like to add what a great time we had on board.

One thing that came as a pleasant surprise (as i dont remember reading this on any review to date) was the quality of the food. Each meal you were served with a pork, beef, chicken, vegetarian and seafood dish (and others). As soon as you thought no more food was coming they would come round with another dish. Now we arent big seafood eaters but the quality of this food meant that we enjoyed everything - even the octopus which i would not usually eat!

It was a couple's anniversary when we were on board and so at the night time they put the table together and brought out a cake for them.

Kayaking was excellent as well in the morning, we thought it would just be a 30 min trip but it was about 2 hours round the magnificent karst landscape. A guide took you round but if you werent too confident with kayaking you could just paddle near the boat or go a shorter route.

The only thing i would mention is that the website says you go to Bai Tu Long bay. We didnt on our trip but that was not a problem at all as we hadnt booked the trip specifically to go there.

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Maria - Ha Long Bay

PhiPhi,

What did others do if they didn't go kayaking? Did they stay on the boat to relax or were there other activities? I have two children so I'm thinking about skipping the kayaking altogether.

Thanks,

wolam

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Maria - Ha Long Bay

Hi,

I forgot to ask you one more thing about Halong Bay. Are there any mosquitos, esp. at night?

Thanks,

wolam

Manchester
Level Contributor
458 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Maria - Ha Long Bay

The guys who didnt come kayaking just relaxed on board the boat. Not much else to do really.

On our boat were a Australian couple who had 2 boys with them - must have only been about 8-10 years old. They came with us on the kayaks. I dont know how old your children are but dont let this stop you going kayaking. I think they had childrens lifejackets and they seemed to love it. When we were there the water was extremely calm - dont think there was one wave - you wouldnt think you were in the sea really.

4. Re: Santa Maria - Ha Long Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 17:19