We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa confusion

Chicago
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visa confusion

Hi, so I several questions about obtaining a Visa in Vietnam. I have read different travel books & different websites. I seem to be getting some conflicting information. When I traveled to Cambodia, I obtained my Visa at the Siem Reap Airport, it was quite easy. It sounds like it is the same in Laos. Now, in Vietnam can I also just get it at the airport when I arrive or do I need to coordinate before hand? Also, I read on a website that when I apply for a visa, I need to provide specific information such as my departure flight from Vietnam. I am planning on backpacking and I don't really have specific time frame right now.

Please advise me on this. Thank you in advance for your help!

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa confusion

No, You won't be able to get your Vietnam visa at the airport. I think that you can if you have letter but I believe it has to be pre-arranged. It would probably be best to just get one from the Vietnam Embassy in the states. You can get a single entry for one month (just give a time frame, live May 1-April 1) or a multiple entry for 3 months. You may be able to arrange to get the visa at the airport, but I think its a little complicated. But might be something to look into. The link below may help:

www.guidevietnam.com/visa/pop/arrival.html

Seattle,Washington...
Level Contributor
653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa confusion

It is very easy and in 24 hours you can obtain viet visa out of cambodia for visa to Vietnam. If coming from the states you can also arrange an invitation letter from a local viet travel company to be e-mailed to you. Print out the form and fill it out and bring with you to vietnam. The local viet travel company will meet your flight and assist you. Also need to bring 2 passport size pictures with you with the invitation letter. Picture must have white back ground and be a close up of shoulder,neck and face. Just like your passport picture. But the easy and better way is to contact the San Francisco Consolite office web site where you can down load there visa form. Fill out and send with passport size picture. Send by registered mail with your passport also. The cost is $40 and takes 7 days. Also must include pre postage paid registered envelope for them to send your passport with visa stamp back to you. Very safe and fast! There web site will give you all of the above details. No worry's. Done it many times.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa confusion

I don't know about getting a Visa upon arrival but I just got one at the San Francisco Consulate (we walked in since live close by) and the cost is $65 each; not $40 as previously posted. I just wanted to make sure you sent enough money if did it via mail.

Seattle,Washington...
Level Contributor
653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa confusion

I just looked at my receit. The last poster is corect! $65 for 30 day visa per person. I even called them on the phone to confirm the cost. Sorry

5. Re: Visa confusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2008, 19:54
6. Re: Visa confusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 14:20