We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week in Vietnam

Seattle
Level Contributor
574 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One week in Vietnam

I'm planning a trip to SE Asia and am considering going to Vietnam for a week. I'm a little concerned that I'm not giving myself enough time but that's all I've got in my itinerary at this point. Is it worth it or should I just spend the time in Thailand? (I'm going for a month).

Also, which part of the country would you suggest? At first I was thinking Hanoi and Halong Bay but thought they were a little closer together then they are. From what I understand, it's a four or five hour drive from Hanoi to Halong Bay. With only a week, those two areas are probably close to all I'd be able to see.

That said, I've started looking into Ho Chi Min City and the Mekong Delta. Love that it's warmer than the north and wouldn't mind finding a nice beach to relax on. Would this be a better destination for me?

Basically, I'm looking for a good mix of culture, beautiful scenery, some nightlife, possibly beaches, and destinations that are relatively close together so I spend as little time possible on travel days.

Can anyone recommend a good one week itinerary? Would love any info on this. Thanks!!!

Perth West Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: One week in Vietnam

Mateo,

IMO:

only 1 week in VN is not going to give you much chance to see, do and relax, so either just concentrate on one end - South (HCMC - Nha Tran and/or Hoi An) or North (Hanoi - Ha Long Bay - Hoi An) - and leave the rest for next time, or re-arrange your month so u get a bit longer in VN.

when you say Thailand, what are your plans there? If you've already worked out your Thai travels, then choose north/south VN for ease of connection to Bkk?

By me, always try to head in one direction, when possible, so check out flight/transport routes and times.

Also who are you travelling with - partner, group, kids, etc ???

Maybe consider something like:

enter VN thru Hanoi, spend 3/4 nights (or so) do Ha Long Bay (overnight, or day trip, depends who u r with, time)

fly to Da Nang, taxi to Hoi An, stay 3/4 nights, then fly to (a) Nha Tran, stay 3n, then fly on to HCMC and stay a 'few' nights, or (b) fly direct to HCMC and miss Nha Tran.

Or enter thru HCMC, and do reverse way, exit Hanoi.

From H or HCMC fly to Bangkok and start your Thai leg, depending upon where you intend to head, north or south.

Plenty for you to consider.

Cheers

Mark

Rowe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
581 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One week in Vietnam

I'm just back from 3 weeks in Vietnam and, sad to say, I didn't enjoy anything about the country. You can look at some of my other posts if you like.

I would strongly suggest that if you have an extra week, spend it in either Luang Prabang (Laos) or Siem Reap (Cambodia). I spent 4-5 nites in each and thoroughly enjoyed that time. This would especially be good advice for someone on their first trip to SE Asia.

Sorry to make such a negative post, but I wouldn't recommend Vietnam to anyone. It was the first country I've ever visited that I truly disliked.

manila
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One week in Vietnam

Hi Mateo,

Try Philippines its really nice here... Go to Palawan.. nice beaches.. want island hopping?

charry

4. Re: One week in Vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 16:17