We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying mobile phone for use in Vietnam and Siem Reap

los angeles
Level Contributor
553 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Buying mobile phone for use in Vietnam and Siem Reap

Has anyone had experience buying a cheap cell phone for use in VN and SR? Our low end American phones don't have the service needed in Vietnam and then there is this "unlocking" issue which I don't fully understand, but could be a problem. One suggestion is to buy one when we arrive in Hanoi and re-sell in HCMC, or just bring it home for possible future use in other parts of the world.

Has anyone done this and then just emailed friends and family the number to call in case of emergency?

We only want it to keep in touch with guides/hotels in Vietnam and for emergency use for calls to/from U.S.

Will the same phone work in Vietnam and Siem Reap?

Many thanks...as i don't want to spend precious holiday time dealing with this!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
163 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying mobile phone for use in Vietnam and Siem Reap

I had alot of luck with my Mobal phone. (I have $99 one) - www.mobal.com I have had it for about 3 years now and used it everywhere on my trips to Asia, Europe, Aruba, Brazil and now Cambodia, vietnam and Thailand a couple weeks ago. It is good for frequent 'pleasure' travelers that only need phone to keep in touch with loved ones every couple days or to confirm with a tour guide.

There is no monthly fee and you dont have to buy multiple SIM cards for every country which can waste traveling time. You only pay per min when you actually use it. I only use mine 3-4 times a year but it has more than paid for itself.

Hope that helps. _(i know you prob got my answer already but thought I would post here too)

Milpitas, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying mobile phone for use in Vietnam and Siem Reap

i believe only gsm phone (at&t/tmobile on west coast) work in vietnam. go buy a refurbish prepaid/gophone phone from at&t. you can get one for around $20 from at&t site and around $40 new from tmobile site.

all phones are locked to specific provider, at&t only accept at&t sim, tmobile with its. so you need to unlock it before putting any other sim in it. you can call at&t/tmobile for unlock or buy from ebay or local phone store. it's around $10 for unlock.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
163 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying mobile phone for use in Vietnam and Siem Reap

The Mobal phone does work in Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand...I just tested it on my trip in march. Great quality everywhere. There was no need to buy SIM cards for each country from Att or Verizon.

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying mobile phone for use in Vietnam and Siem Reap

Fortunately, we have a mobile phone that works in Vn and we only have to buy a prepaid sim card on arrival.

Have you also heard of Skype? It's voip calling. I am also going to use this (I hope!) to call home on the internet. This will free up my mobile use for internal calls and text.

It seems quite easy to use and free if calling from internet to internet. Just google Skype to find out more.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying mobile phone for use in Vietnam and Siem Reap

Am also considering the benefit of buying a cheap prepaid phone over there.

Other than that we might get international roaming switched on one of our existing phones. The price seems prohibitive though.

hawaii
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying mobile phone for use in Vietnam and Siem Reap

VN uses 900 frequency and you can have your phone unlocked for $10, just take it to a place where sim card is sold and they can unlock for you. Ask the hotel and they tell you where you can find the unlocked services in SG.

7. Re: Buying mobile phone for use in Vietnam and Siem Reap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 01:19