We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halong Bay or Mekong Delta?

Copenhagen, Denmark
12 posts
Save Topic
Halong Bay or Mekong Delta?

We are going to Vietnam in January. We'll fly to Hanoi and fly back from Saigon (visit to e.g. Sapa in the North and Phu Quoc Island in the South). I'm having trouble deciding between Halong Bay or Mekong Delta - also considering the weather conditions in January. Any thoughts? Thank you as always :-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halong Bay or Mekong Delta?

I would recommend Halong Bay over the Mekong Delta. The Mekong is very interesting but like lots of other places in Vietnam and S-E Asia. Even though the water in Halong Bay was very polluted when we visited in April '08 it is still spectacular and unique.

cincinnati
Level Contributor
483 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Halong Bay or Mekong Delta?

I totally agree with the other reply, but weather would be a big difference from north to south. Isnt it pretty chilly in hanoi area during January? If you have the warm clothes packed to wear and you arent afraid of some cold weather, Id say halong bay is way more spectacular to see.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halong Bay or Mekong Delta?

Halong Bay any day. I've cruised on both and for my money, the Mekong was no comparison.

West Aussie
Level Contributor
306 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halong Bay or Mekong Delta?

Mmmmmm . . . . . a hard call, as they are really not comparable. So totally different and both so wonderfully unique.

I travelled in February, and loved both, though because of who I am (and depending on what type of person you are, that's where your dilemma lies.....) I would prefer the Mekong.

The Mekong is a totally fascinating way of life, rather than just scenery (Halong Bay). Both stunning in their own right, but completely different.

It wouldn't matter which place you chose, I am sure you would love it! If you go the Mekong way, try to encompass more of the river life, rather than spending time on the road. So different to what I, as an Australian, have ever experienced . . . and such a fascinating glimpse into another culture.

If you visit Halong, I would recommend staying overnight on a junk, time spent absorbing the different times of day, the ambience . . . magic!!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Halong Bay or Mekong Delta?

I too am researching Vietnam for a visit in December and January. We must all realise that in January the weather in north Vietnam can be quite cold. We are not going to do Halong Bay because of this..... we've opted for Tam Coc area instead. We will however, probably spend more time in the Mekong. Take note though, we are taking three children along so are planning a trip with them in mind. If you go to places such as Halong Bay or Sa Pa, it may be very cold; Sa Pa may indeed be extremely foggy with all views hidden.

West Aussie
Level Contributor
306 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halong Bay or Mekong Delta?

Hi Katmon . . . Tam Coc is not that far south of Hanoi, only about 90km from memory, and when we were there in late February, it was still very cloudy and cool most of the time. Having said that, it was this year (2008) when the weather was particularly cool for an extended period.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Halong Bay or Mekong Delta?

That's correct. We are assuming that Tam Coc will also be quite cool during January. However, we decided that we would rather be cool whilst riding bikes or site seeing on land rather than being on a boat/junk in the cold.

West Aussie
Level Contributor
306 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halong Bay or Mekong Delta?

I adored the Tam Coc region LouiseGJ, so hope your experience there is as magical as ours . . . . .

Enjoy!!

West Aussie
Level Contributor
306 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halong Bay or Mekong Delta?

Oops!!! that should have been directed to Katmon . . . . . ;-))

10. Re: Halong Bay or Mekong Delta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 21:17