We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mekong trip with Jason SSS

nsw
Level Contributor
784 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Mekong trip with Jason SSS

Hi all

Thought i should give a little trip report before i forget where we have been & what we have done.

Last night ( Sunday) we were picked up at our hotel by Jason SSS tour Guide. He brought along his beautiful wife Jaqueline & we went on river boat dinner cruise. The food, the weather & his service was fantastic. The cruise was about a hour long & the have a band that plays traditional Vietnamese music. There was also a girl doing a fire dance. Amazing! She had a hoop with little burning pots around it & she spun it & danced , incredible to see!

We then went for a look at a couple of rooftop bars & took some amazing photos, or at least i did, my aunty & Jason were trying to work her camera & they both thought they were right. Hard to say which one was funnier out of them.

Today we went on our long awaited tour to Mekong Delta with Jason, he came to the hotel to pick us up at 7.30 with a flower each & a airconditioned van. Very welcome in this heat. Our trip down to the Mekong was amazing. Jason is wonderful to spend time with & took such great care of my mum, taking her arm & helping her everywhere, even had a small step to stand on to get into van, his attention to detail is fabulous.

We stopped on the way at the Cai Dai Temple which was what i wanted to do but didn’t think we would have time so i was greatly impressed as i dint know it was on the way. The temple is incredible, so beautiful, the floors, the walls & carvings, all of it. We then made our way on to the the Mekong. When we got there there was a boat waiting for us with a lady boat driver, very friendly & Jason made us at home in reclining chairs with cushions & we lay back & enjoyed the scenery & took pics. His knowledge of the area is great, he constantly tells you things about the surrounds & makes sure you want for nothing. We stopped & bought watermelon off a boat & enjoyed that chopped up watching the scenery. We then got off the road & went for a walk up the path & seen a Mekong toilet. Ewwww Luckily we didn’t have to use it. We then got back on the boat & made our way to the markets.There are things we would never see & hope to never see again! But it was a authentic tour & there weren’t any other tourists where we went! also stopped off & seen some coconut candy makers & bought some lollies. There we had to use the squat toilets, what an experience!

Then we caught the ferry with the locals across the river & went to the boat drivers in laws house where she cooked us dinner. It was delicious, the spring rolls were to die for & the fish & hotpot, yummy. Then after some tea & a rest we went back to the boat & across the river again where we said goodbye to the boat driver. Her family & her were so lovely.

We then got back into our van for our trip home.

Tomorrow morning we are being picked up again & doing a half day tour of the city, notre dame cathedral, cholon markets & whatever else we want to see & some lunch.

If you want to do a tour & want to remember it i highly recommend Jason SSS. He picks you up & takes you & takes care of you so well, there are cold drinks & fruit in the car for the trip & he even sang Kareoke for us! Badly of course but he had the dvd on & sang!!!

I know he has some days free at the end of this week & other random free days in the next few weeks.

If anyone wants his contact details i’m only too pleased to pass them on.

los angeles
Level Contributor
510 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mekong trip with Jason SSS

We took this same trip with Jason a few weeks ago and were so glad we did. It is the Mekong Delta Cai Be one-day option that includes lunch at the boat driver's house. While it is a little further than the "typical" one day trip to My Tho, we felt it was really worth it.

As redgum describes, it is a great trip. Also, it's not as long a day as we expected. We left a little after 8 a.m. and returned around 4:30 p.m.

I agree with everything redgum said and also highly recommend it.

Just to clarify, the brief stop is at a very interesting Cai Dai Temple, but not THE flagship temple. That one is located near the Cu Chi Tunnels and usually seen as part of a day trip out of HCMC to include the tunnels and temple. We didn't get there, so we were very pleased for the brief stop at this smaller temple.

Perth
Level Contributor
680 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mekong trip with Jason SSS

Hi Redgum

Thanks for taking the time to do such a wonderful post. We have Jason booked for a mekong tour the second day we are in HCMC, so it's great to get such good feed back on his services!! 11 days to go for us and getting excited!! Happy travels - Wayvan

Perth
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mekong trip with Jason SSS

Hi Redgum,

Thanks for your great report on the Mekong Tour.

We plan to do the 2 nights and 3 day tour staying at Can Tho.

Jason sounds really good , if you don't mind passing on his contact details thanks.

How much does he charge for the half day city tour?

What would you reccomend to see on this tour?

Are you still enjoying your stay at the AnAn 2 Hotel?

Cheers,

Stewie.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
123 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mekong trip with Jason SSS

Hi Redgum, Glad to hear you are having a fantastic time, I too am interested in receiving Jason's details as my daughter and I are heading off in December and are trying to put our itinerary together. Thanks Beagle

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
834 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mekong trip with Jason SSS

Hi Redgum, glad you are having a great time and we are now sold on jason and have been in contact with him.

Yes the squat toilets are a experience, that is why my big sis swears by a long skirt and NO knickers,keep on with the reports if you have time they are great

Carole

nsw
Level Contributor
784 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mekong trip with Jason SSS

Hi all

we have had the best time here. Shopped, walked,ate, its amazing. & yes we made it across the roads safely, i just try not to look!!!

We said goodbye to Jason this afternoon & it was sad to leave him.

I'm sure that whoever wants to contact him wont regret it.

gotta go, markets await!

hervey bay australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mekong trip with Jason SSS

hi redgum, keep the reports coming - we are in the first stages of planning our trip in feb and your reports are very helpful. enjoy your trip! vicki & chris

Victoria
Level Contributor
111 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mekong trip with Jason SSS

Hi Redgum

Your reports are just fantastic, I am starting the planning on a trip for March 09 and I am following your trip with great interest.

Did you take AUD or USD with you???

Enjoy am looking forward to your next post

nsw
Level Contributor
784 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mekong trip with Jason SSS

Hey all

Glad you are following us, thought maybe i was raving too much but i'll keep going now. I have to post all the time or i forget what we did.

Didnt bring much money with me just used atm so far. Have changed a little bit at hotel desk & rate was ok 15,500 so we were happy with that. They except anything here, one lady told us as long as we give her money she doesnt care what currency we use! we have just been dividing dong by 15,000 & that is a basic idea or close enough anyway.

Off in morning to Nha Trang so will post another report for todays separately

Nite all

Newport Beach
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mekong trip with Jason SSS

Redgum,

Who book your Nha Trang tour? Plus which hotel will you be staying?