We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is hoi an too touristy?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
is hoi an too touristy?

I'm currently in hanoi and considering visiting hoi an. People seem to love it, but from the description I'm a little afraid that everything there revolves around tourism which isn't what I'm looking for. Is there more to hoi an than tourism? Are there places where I can just roam the streets and watch people who aren't visiting or catering to people who visit the country? Are there other parts of northern or central vietnam that would be better to visit? Thanks for any advice.

nsw
Level Contributor
784 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is hoi an too touristy?

Go to Hoian , its fantastic. we spent 3 days there just walking the streets & drinking coffee & people watching. Its the most relaxing place ever.

Of course then the tailors (amazing) & the tour to My Son we did(bout 1 & half hrs away), these ruins are not be missed, you could wander around there all day.

Then the nights when you can walk along the river & the lanterns are lit 7 the lights reflect off the water. Its a magical place.

I found Nha Trang to be the most touristy place we visited, but to be fair i wasnt overly fussed on Nha Trang, but people love it there. Different courses for different horses i spose!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is hoi an too touristy?

By your definition Hoi An could definitely fall into the category of "touristy". It's not typically or traditionally "Vietnamese" but is still a nice place to visit or just hang out in. I enjoyed my stay there and I think most posters here would agree. Only the hardest core Vietnamese afficionado would not enjoy Hoi An.

Danang
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: is hoi an too touristy?

Hi,

Hopefully Danang and Hue city suit your liking.

Happy travel

Ha

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,720 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is hoi an too touristy?

Don't miss Hoi An, and yes it is touristy, but also a working port. Also go to Hue (all about history, education and the most prosperous looking city in VN.) Hoi An is a resort in my opinion, but unique, and just plain neat! Sapa falls into the same category, but don't miss it if you can. Hoi An is not Cancun, Vegas or Disney World. Hoi An has some of the best of everything.

Dana Point
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: is hoi an too touristy?

I didn't like Hoi An , dirty and filled with tailor shops. The displayed clothes look worse than SF china town. The town has lost its original charm. Glad I had only 2 nights there. Local vendors speak English with Australian accents. I ran into tourists and expats, all were aussies, at some point i thought i was in australia

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is hoi an too touristy?

I've booked 4 nts in Hoi An and am really looking forward to it.

Most places in Asia are now touristy to some extent, but it doesn't detract from the enjoyment for me.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is hoi an too touristy?

Thanks all for your responses. Am definitely going to go hue since it sounds like it offers a lot. Sounds like the consensus is that hoi an is worth the time as well. Worst case, many guide books say that the pass from hue to hoi an is beautiful so maybe that's worth the trip alone.

merimbula aust
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is hoi an too touristy?

We have just spent 8 nights in Hoi An. Originally booked for 5 and loved it so much we extended. Yes there are lots of clothes shops, yes there are people walking the streets trying to sell u anything, yes there are lots of little eateries, yes there is lots to see- ancient architecture, French, Chinese,and local sites. We hired a motor bike and joined a million other nuts on the road and got to see heaps, riding thru fishing villages and local areas, always felt safe and people so friendly!

We live in a tourist town in Aust. and although there isnt the "touting" there, the town promotes itself to prospective tourists and offer all we have avail. Hoi An (Vietnam) is no different to any other Asian country, and from my experiences far nicer and less harassing than Thailand and Bali, the latter I wouldnt return to if u paid my way. All the best Hoi An wont dissappoit u.Kaygee1

los angeles
Level Contributor
521 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is hoi an too touristy?

San Fran guy, if you are from SF, you probably will not consider the Hai Van pass so beautiful. You might want to lower your expectations! It's not coastal route 1 at Big Sur, by any means. That said, both Hue and Hoi An are lovely and definitely worth visits. (and dont' get me wrong -- there are nice views on the pass if it's a clear day!)

In Hue I highly recommend seeing the tombs on the back of motorbikes. You can hire drivers with very limited English for $7 a day thru one of the cafes. We loved our morning spent with them. Then in the afternoon we explored the Citadel area.

2 nights in Hue (for one full day) was adequate for us.

we also enjoyed the cham museum on the way to Hoi An.

we LOVED Hoi An. Beautiful beach (even by California standards) and a lovely town to explore and yes, to have clothes made. It's fun if you approach it with a sense of humor and adventure.

Get off the beaten track to see some of the surrounding village life. Mr. Trung, who can be reached on his mobile, 0935512007 offers a great 1/2 day exploration of his village right outside Hoi An proper. There's a small company, Hoi An Eco-Tours, also offers fun trips.

ENJOY!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,720 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is hoi an too touristy?

I believe that one of the nicest things about Hoi An (after the often frantic/hectic experience of HCMC and Hanoi) is the peacefulness of the place. Cars are forbidden in the central area/old town and there are very few hawkers around (most of them are in the central market area only). It's sort of shocking to find this oasis of comfort in a country where it's very often a real hassle just to walk down the street. Love that Hoi An! Anybody know the name of the wonderful Indian Restaurant in Hoi An?