We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa advice? Thanks!

Seattle
Level Contributor
573 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visa advice? Thanks!

So I just downloaded an application for a Visa so that I can travel to Vietnam in November. Just had a couple questions and was hoping someone could help me.

There is a section on the application that asks for the "Proposed dates of entry and exit from Vietnam".

Does this mean that I need to put down the exact dates? I would rather leave it open as far as how long I'm going to be there but it would only be a few days either way. In any case, I'm only going to be there for a week or so... and I'm guessing the Visa covers a month or so?

Also, the application asks that I send in my "Original Passport". I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. Do they mean a copy of the original?

Thanks!

Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa advice? Thanks!

Hi Mateo,

You are obviously applying in USA, however, I can only give you similar info on applying in Australia.

You are required to put in your entry/exit dates, you will usually get a visa for a month, so it's worth putting in a few extra days either side of the week you know you will deinitely be there.

Of course you must send your original passport, where else do you think the embassy will put your visa???

I suggest you read the many forums on this very topic and then decide if you are comfortable with sending your passport via mail or alternatively getting an "on-arrival" visa or getting a travel agent in your town to arrange your visa using a secure courier company, however, you will pay highly for this service.

Decisions, decisions...

Rech

Rech

Australia
Level Contributor
534 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa advice? Thanks!

Hi Mateo

I agree with Rech. If you're worried about posting your passport do a Visa on Arrival. It is also much cheaper. Lots of on-line companies supply the letter which you get stamped on arrival. $23 US for the letter and $25 for the stamping ($50 for multiple) We had no hassles. Just got back and we had multiple entries into/out of Vietnam

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa advice? Thanks!

Soutn AussieDave

Who did you do you VOA pre approval letter with?

I'm trying one company but it sends though Xoom who only transfer minimum $25 plus $5 fee for using VISA. So it will cost me $40. Or they Use western bank but I went to the post office (where it told me to go) and they don't transfer it into an account. Just give a number and the person has to go into the bank and get it. That is an $8 fee but I don't think that is what they want as they gave me bank details.

This is really driving me mad.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa advice? Thanks!

Just send your passport to Canberra, it is so quick and painless, no stress at all.

Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa advice? Thanks!

Linda52 - the orginator of this forum obviously resides in the US!!!

The point of the "on-arrival" visa is to save a whole heap of money and possibly a safer option than sending your passport thru the mail (refer previous forums on this) I guess it just depends on whether you want to queue up when you arrive, or have it before you go.

We're still tossing up what we will do...

Rech :)

Australia
Level Contributor
534 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa advice? Thanks!

Hi catalyst

We used www.Visa-Vietnam.Org but there are a number of companies that do it. Are you using any Viet tour companies? If so they will probably arrange it as well eg V'explore or Tonkin Travel.

We also used Xoom (used them a couple of times) and yes it does cost but they all will charge you one way or another and they were pretty cheap.

Dave

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa advice? Thanks!

Thanks. Just realised I can do bank transfer. Hopefully my bank will do it. I tried on the internet but I have to apply for it with my bank to do it on the net. I will try that tomorrow otherwise will have to use Xoom as I'm running out of time.

I'm really going to need this holiday by the time I go.

I'm having hassles with my business and am about to scream at someone.

Another silly question. Do the VISA's take a whole page like the ones in Bali? I'm running out of pages and I still have 6 years to go. Not that I'm complaining about traveling too much. LOL

Next time I'll get the one with extra pages.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa advice? Thanks!

Linda52 - the orginator of this forum obviously resides in the US!!!

The point of the "on-arrival" visa is to save a whole heap of money and possibly a safer option than sending your passport thru the mail (refer previous forums on this) I guess it just depends on whether you want to queue up when you arrive, or have it before you go.

We're still tossing up what we will do...

Rech :)

Rech, I know that, I was replying to Catalyst who resides in Sydney, Australia.

:) :)

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,508 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa advice? Thanks!

Just looked at mine- yes, the VN visa takes up a whole page.

And, just so you know, they back track a few days for the start date of your application anyway- we put our arrival date as 30 December and they gave us a visa starting from 27 December.

Australia
Level Contributor
534 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa advice? Thanks!

Yes the visa they put in your passport takes up one page and then they stamp the other so you will need 2 pages.

Dave