We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vietnam or thailand ???

kurrajong
Destination Expert
for Samoa
Level Contributor
835 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
vietnam or thailand ???

hi we have never travelled anywhere in asia (except to hong kong) usally travel to the south pacific - samoa. but are considering going to thailand or vietnam. would really love all the food.

has anyone been to both and can offer suggestions, we like somewhere NOT built up and touristy. not really into big resorts, low key small places ( but nice) access to a beach.

and how do you get around over there, do people hire cars or just taxi's ?? my husband is a keen ( or should that be obsessed) fisherman. so if anyone has been fishing over there and has some suggestions that would be great.

Newport Beach
Level Contributor
1,706 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vietnam or thailand ???

Sasa,

Do a search on here and you will see a varieties of posts on this subject.

Have fun.

sydney
Level Contributor
128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vietnam or thailand ???

Hi! I have done both and personally prefer Vietnam. Less touristy and the people are friendlier in my experience. it really does depend though on what you want in a holiday.

I find Vietnam can be harder to aclimatise to for a first timer, as it isn't as westernised as Thailand. This can be challenging if you aren't in the main cities.

I would reccomend Hoi An in Vietnam if you like laid back beach life. It also has a great town that while is popular for tourists retains its traditional charm (ie not all flashing lights and discos)

Can't comment on fishing unfortunately, but would say Thailand (Ko Samui/Phuket) would be preferable for that.

You can have a brilliant time in both places, just do your research.

I can also recommend Intrepid Tours, I did my first Vietnam trip with them and found it to be great. They don't do all the usual tourist crap, and have great local guides. Plus its always good to have someone around who knows the good places to eat!!

3. Re: vietnam or thailand ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 15:17