We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help: Where to spend a solid month or two in Vietnam?

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
521 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Help: Where to spend a solid month or two in Vietnam?

We planned on renting an apartment in Hanoi for 2-3 months but after arriving here and looking at some flats decided this city is just not for us. It's far too loud, noisy, chaotic, and stressful. We are looking for something more laid-back but with good amenities.

Any suggestions? Friendly, vibrant, low-key small city/big town is the ideal. Proximity to nature is a plus.

Our budget is moderate. We hope to spend around $800 USD for a place big enough for 2, with the main modcon stipulation that we have a solid Internet connection.

Hoi An is the current front-runner. Any input is greatly appreciated!

co. donegal
Level Contributor
334 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help: Where to spend a solid month or two in Vietnam?

i ve been to hoi an and while i liked it im not sure i would like to live ther efor 3 months, it is alot quieter than hanoi though, but could be very small to stay that length of time in great eating opportunities though

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,748 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help: Where to spend a solid month or two in Vietnam?

Dalat is an utterly charming, friendly and low-key town with mountains and natural attractions galore in the surrounding countryside. However it can't be called vibrant and three months might be a bit much.

As for Hoi An, two days was more than enough for me, but most people would beg to differ.

No matter where you decide to go there will be good internet connections, so that will be the least of your worries.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,857 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help: Where to spend a solid month or two in Vietnam?

Hoi An would be my choice, however have you considered splitting your time and perhaps spending a few weeks in nearby Hue as well. Also a lovely city and no where near the pace of Hanoi.

We have some pics, maps and stories of our trip to Vietnam here... www.bobandjanette.com which may help.

Happy & safe travels

Bob

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
521 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help: Where to spend a solid month or two in Vietnam?

Any other ideas? Would Na Thrang be a good place to stay long-term?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,818 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help: Where to spend a solid month or two in Vietnam?

if you do a search for this name:

sljordan85

she was a young english girl who went to live in Nha Trang for a few months...by the end of their stay they were less than impressed with it.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
521 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help: Where to spend a solid month or two in Vietnam?

Thank you!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
832 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help: Where to spend a solid month or two in Vietnam?

Hi,

Nha Trang is an ideal city to live for a long time. I like getting up early and run along the nice beach every morning. In the night, Nha Trang is much more quite than Hanoi and Saigon.

Other choice is Danang city, A flat near the beach in this city is an good idea.

David

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,461 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help: Where to spend a solid month or two in Vietnam?

Around Mui Ne would be my choice if I had to hang out in one place for a long time but if you have a multi entry visa - how about getting a cheap flight to another country?

Depending on what part of the world you come from, you'd find you don't even need a visa for places such as Singapore or Thialand.

Da Lat is a nice part too but not too hectic.

9. Re: Help: Where to spend a solid month or two in Vietnam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2010, 05:17