My partner and I want to plan a trip to Vietnam however, we are unsure if we should book a group tour or create our own independent trip.
We have travelled around Asia independently and not had any issues. From reading a few books on Vietnam, we have found the travel advise to be contradictory and are now doubtful as to what we should do. Nether of us have ever travelled via a group tour and are not sure what to expect.
We enjoy culture, walking, sight seeing and history (and shopping).
We would like to visit the following places over a two week period:-
(Hue/Hoi an) - maybe if time permits.
Ho Chi minh city
Please can you assist and help with the following questions:-
1. How easy is it to take a train between the locations? Some books state that your luggage may be tampered with in transit if you fall asleep/leave it unattended.
2. Have any of you used or know someone that has taken the intrepid traveller tour to Vietnam and have some feedback?
3. How difficult is it to get round if you are not taking a tour e.g. taxi
4. Can you hire a scooter?
5. What flight companies operate between Hanoi to Hue/Hoi An and then to Nha Trang? What's the cost of internal flights.
6. Hue or Hoi An if you have to choose between the two due to time constrains?
7. where should we spend the longest duration? Ho Chi Minh city?
Your help is much appreciated