We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keeping my laptop, iphone and SLR camera safe in Vietnam

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Keeping my laptop, iphone and SLR camera safe in Vietnam

I'll be traveling to Vietnam for 2 weeks in March. It will be a vacation, but I will need to be in touch with my business most days.

Assuming that I have my iphone and camera with me at all times, what safety measures would you propose for me to keep all 3 items safe, and get them all back home with me ?

In particular, I'm a bit concerned about the days I'll be at Sapa and Halong Bay (and leaving most of my bags at my hotel in Hanoi for pickup later) - should I leave my laptop with my bags?

Is there anything I need to worry about with regards the iPhone and camera?

Many thanks

Edited: 07 February 2010, 13:35
Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keeping my laptop, iphone and SLR camera safe in Vietnam

Just wanted to add that I have the same questions in other parts of the world too, just that the answers aren't always the same !!!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keeping my laptop, iphone and SLR camera safe in Vietnam

This is a thread about SRL that someone else asked before:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293921-i8432-k336…

Iphone: one of my clients lost his Iphone in Saigon, pickpocket. so very careful with Iphone since it's very easy to be stolen (rather than SRL) and you dont even know that you lost it.

Laptop: do not leave your laptop in your bag, but put it in safe deposit box of the hotel. If it's the small hotel and dont have this service, take the laptop with you. it's better safe rather than sorry!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
14,636 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keeping my laptop, iphone and SLR camera safe in Vietnam

Many hotels (esp. in Hanoi) now have computers for guest use right in the hotel rooms. The Sunshine Hotel Chain/Hanoi has them in all of their 7 or 8 hotels. Every hotel has public computers in their lobbies. How the hell will you be able to relax and see the country with all of those worries?

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keeping my laptop, iphone and SLR camera safe in Vietnam

daawgon - of course you're right - I've been trying to work out how to keep in contact with my business, and still enjoy the vacation ....

Anyway, looks like my old phone is going to work in Vietnam, so I already know that I can leave the iPhone at home :-)

I already decided that the SLR has to come with, or I'll really be mad at myself for going so far and not being able to take great pictures.

I guess for the laptop, I'll just bring a disk-on-key for the really important stuff that I need, and use the hotel computers for keeping in contact. I've got a really small laptop that weighs about 1 pound, with no hard drive - I might just bring that for emails for the times when the emails need to be done in the middle of the night ....

Thanks for making me see the light :-)

California
Level Contributor
173 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keeping my laptop, iphone and SLR camera safe in Vietnam

You should put your camera in the safe box if you don't want to carry with you and same as iphone. You need to be careful with your iphone when you use in public places, watch your surroundings before picking up your phone calls. I tried to use my cell phone when I was in the taxi or in the office buildings. You can leave your laptop in your room if you stay in the high end hotels or leave it at the front desk when staying at backpack areas. Happy travel.

South Pole
Level Contributor
261 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Keeping my laptop, iphone and SLR camera safe in Vietnam

I have spent six months around South East with a variety of electronics including a full-size laptop. The laptop is usually in the day-bag but I seldom take it out with me during the day unless heading for a Wifi cafe. I always look for a hotel with Wifi service in the room. The laptop is usually left in a locked bag in the room, and sometimes inside the locked suitcase.

I have never stayed at a backpackers, but always at lower-cost hotels.

Similar care with the camera, phone, backup drive etc.

Remember that your fellow tourists are just as likely to be a risk and take extra care if you share a room.

Australia
Level Contributor
118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Keeping my laptop, iphone and SLR camera safe in Vietnam

For added security, I've just bought a Pacsafe strap for my camera. It has a slash-proof wire inside the strap. Seen here:

www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php…

There's also this product that might be useful for you:

www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php…

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Keeping my laptop, iphone and SLR camera safe in Vietnam

Thanks guys.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Keeping my laptop, iphone and SLR camera safe in Vietnam

Unfortunately, we will be in the same boat, since my partner needs to take wedding photos in Vietnam, and he needs SLR and laptop to process, or we have to buy probably extra 5-10 memory cards to store pics (we dont want to miss the chance taking pictures of Vietnam).

We have considered to buy;

- R straps : http://www.blackrapid.com/

- Spider Holster : http://spiderholster.com/

But ended up with this guy, and so far it is really comfortable for him - Sun Spider : www.sun-sniper.de/index.php… . Since we can try it on at one of the local stores, and the time does not allow us for other options.

But we still cover the logo, and buy insurance for the gear which is expensive, for our trips this year in Vn and Malay).

For Laptop, is the safe box big enough to keep the laptop ? Otherwise we have to carry in our back pack all the time, and that will be a pain in the neck ? Is it possible if we ask the hotel owner keeps the laptop for us ? Should we trust them as I know they will be very busy as well. I know that they wont steal it, since we go with reputable hotels.

For iphone, we want to use wifi and data to be able to use GPS service (if we can). We will be extra careful when taking the calls. Thanks for the tip.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,744 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Keeping my laptop, iphone and SLR camera safe in Vietnam

Room safes are usually big enough for a netbook.....anything bigger and you will struggle to get it to go in. Personally i wouldn't bring anything bigger than netbook size. Too bulky, prone to damage and too darn visible. You can usually leave such items at reception (get a receipt!). I've yet to have an issue with things going missing in Vietnam but no doubt people have.

Same with carrying SLR cameras. They seem to be about everywhere here. Nikons being 2 a penny. Just take the usual precautions.

As for the Iphone, just be very careful. They aren't any more liable to getting stolen than any other phone. All phones, when handed to a thief, will get stolen - my partner, talking by the road, had a cheap phone snatched out of her hand by a passing m/bike. But be aware of roaming costs. I would buy a local sim and use that, always assuming the Iphone is unlocked. Beeline are supposed to be good for data.

Edited: 04 July 2010, 04:15