We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How should we take spending Money ?

Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
How should we take spending Money ?

We are from Australia and leave for Vietnam in 2 weeks. We are not sure how we should take our spending money (ie: aust dollars, american dollars, travellers cheques etc ???) We will be travelling to Ho Chi Minh, Nha Trang and Hoi An. We would appreciate any advice. Thanks

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How should we take spending Money ?

I would stick with cash,Aussie $.Bring a card for back-up.Aussie $ going up again.Aussie easily changed at banks/gold shops in all the places you are going.Gold shops being the best places to change and are open longer than banks.Remember to bring notes in good condition.

Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
87 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How should we take spending Money ?

Cash AU$ is good. ATM's are everywhere and no worries. Travelers cheques are not really accepted many places.

perth
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How should we take spending Money ?

definately take aussie dollars and as previous said exchange at gold shops near the market, i have found generally give a better rate and yes take your cards as backup

Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How should we take spending Money ?

Thanks everyone for your help, we will be taking aust dollars & credit card. Elise

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,556 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How should we take spending Money ?

I regularly travel to VN and find that ATM's are so convenient. Yes on occasions the machines run out of notes but there is always another nearby. All you need to do is check that your card is compatable with the ATM (Maestro, Cirrus etc). As they are so prolific, looking for money changers to me is a waste of my time. You need some Dong when taking a Taxi from the Airport and sometimes these Airport ATM's are out of notes. A Mai Linh Taxi would wait while you get cash from your hotel or nearby ATM.

Cheers Ross

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
841 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How should we take spending Money ?

When we visited China 2 years ago, we took USD for tips etc and then just used the ATMs. I am guessing this is what we most likely do when we travel to VN in June. Although did I read somewhere on a forum that ATMs are not so common outside Hanoi and Saigon? We will also be travelling to Nha Trang Hoi an & Hue.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,556 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How should we take spending Money ?

All the places to my knowledge that you mention are serviced by ATMs. Mui Ne has ATM's as does Nha Trang, and Hoi An, in my experience.

Cheers Ross

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
841 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How should we take spending Money ?

Thanks Ross, I think we will stick to our plan of USD and ATMs, sounds good.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,981 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How should we take spending Money ?

I take Aussie Dollars no problem changing, too many fees with the ATM's.

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How should we take spending Money ?

I usually take a mixture of things, so that if one doesn't work, I have back-ups. I used to always bring US dollars, too, but have found this unneccesary, and an extra bother. I always bring some cash, the type of which depends on what country I am in before arriving in VN. Lao money can be difficult and expensive to change, so I use my bank card at an ATM. I always carry a credit card, but rarely use it. At ATMs, which are everwhere in the cities, I withdraw the maximum allowed, as you get charged per transaction. You will be charged a fee by both the VN bank, and your home bank. Just be careful at the ATM, as you would be at home. Sometimes, I fly from Canada, and then bring CDN dollars. This is usually easy to change at any bank or gold shop, but I have occasionally had trouble at banks in Saigon, for some reason, though not in anyother city. The good part about cash is, you don't have to worry about possible fake ATMs etc.

I used to bring traveller's cheques, but no longer do, as they took up a lot of extra space, and you can only change them in person at a bank. At least, they are replaceable, though, if you lose them.