We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
98 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Vietnam

will be traveling to Vietnam Cambodia Thailand what would be the best country to start from. Any and all information welcome will be staying one month to six weeks Will be leaving from Spokane has anyone dealt with ASAP tickets for flights

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,709 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam

I have found it works out better pricing flights out of Seattle. Impossible to answer the rest of your question when you don't say what time of year.

Australia
Level Contributor
142 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam

Hi. I recently did this trip starting in Vietnam and ending in Thailand. It is an amazing journey.

The order you do it in really depends on where you are going in each country.

We travelled from Nth to Sth Vietnam, then through Cambodia, into Bangkok, up to Chaing Mai in nth thailand then back to Bangkok.

Vietnam and Cambodia are definately more of a culture shock. Southern Thailand is much more westernised so if you haven't been to SE Asia before, it might be best to start there. Having said that, VN and Cambodia are much cheaper so from a budgeting point of view, it's easier to save money in those countries and may be easier to spread your money out for longer if you end with Thailand, that way, if you're low on cash at the end, you can just go home without having missed out on anything.

However you do it, I hope you have a fantastic trip and that you enjoy it as much as I did. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
98 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam

thanks for that and we will be going in January also what do you have to be immunized for

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,764 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vietnam

How late January? Tet is 3rd February in Vietnam; you do not want to be here in the week before. Prices go up!

Regarding health info, best contact your local health clinic. They will want to know where you are intending to go. Malaria isn't a big issue in the cities....outside can vary. Polio, Tetanus etc all spring to mind.

Mentioned in this post
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
98 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vietnam

thanks for that we will be in Asia for the month of January and were thinking of extending into Feb maybe two weeks

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
98 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vietnam

thanks for that and we will be going in January also what do you have to be immunized for

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,764 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vietnam

I'd do a search on Vietnam Tet....been aired many times

Mentioned in this post
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vietnam

Hi,

If you are looking for some beautiful impressions of Vietnam, check my website.

You will find a wide range of improving videos all over Vietnam.

Have a fantastic vacation

Joachim

(vietnamandmore team)

Mentioned in this post
USA
Level Contributor
429 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vietnam

It's been a while since I flew that way. But there are many choices flying from Seatle to Asia. My preference would be to fly into VN then Cambodia then Thailand. Cambodia is easier to get to once you are in continent. Yes, shots are highly recommended, check with Consulate's recommendations but I would urge at least tetanus booster and Hepatitis A and B!!! Vietnam is very green, lush ( green terraced rice paddies are amazing views as are mountains and rivers in north VN. Halong Bay was dreamy. I found Cambodia dry and brown in comparison. But Siem Riep was fantastic, very interesting. Just like in Laura Croft Tomb Raider! Bangkok is another crowed, bustling metropolis good for eating and shopping. It's not as cheap as the other countries but the quality is much superior so buy your souvenirs or gifts here. In all three, do try to bargain. I would check out the beaches and island of Thailand or Chiang Mai( not been there but heard its gorgeous). Thai Airline is very good and reasonable, and you might just want to hop over Bali or the like if you extend your visit. There are many good deals too from travel agents there for flight and hotel combo for nearby destinations.

Air prices go up significantly in Jan because its best time to be in Asia then (cooler weather for me) and because of Tet in Vn. So get there as early in Jan as you can (or do RT THailand). Thais don't celebrate Chinese New Year. And oh, treat yourselves to some wonderful massages in all three countries.

Mentioned in this post
Halong Bay
Halong Bay
9,106 Reviews
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Bali