We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Type of Adaptor Plug for Vietnam

Boca Raton, FL.
Level Contributor
166 posts
What Type of Adaptor Plug for Vietnam

I need an adaptor plug for my camera. It has 110/120 voltage so I just need the plug. On one website it said you need the two prong, like in Europe, and on another website it said a 3 prong, like he UK. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,949 posts
13 reviews
22 helpful votes
1. Re: What Type of Adaptor Plug for Vietnam

Depending where you are in Vietnam, there can be 2- or 3-prong sockets. I travel with a 2-prong (round-pin) adaptor that accommodates UK, EU and US plugs and fits into both types of socket.

Boca Raton, FL.
Level Contributor
166 posts
2. Re: What Type of Adaptor Plug for Vietnam

Thanks. I have both the 2 and 3 prong plugs I will bring both with me.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
3. Re: What Type of Adaptor Plug for Vietnam

One problem for you: The standard voltage rate in majority places in Vietnam is 220. So please be careful when charging anything with 110/120 voltage rate. Round-pin adaptor is the best choice-even when you're in a hotel/motel or coffee shop.

Cheer flgirl0817

Boca Raton, FL.
Level Contributor
166 posts
4. Re: What Type of Adaptor Plug for Vietnam

KelvinPham,

Oops, I meant to say 110/220 voltage for my camera charger. I can't believe I wrote 11/1120 - DUH!!!

Thanks

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
14 reviews
13 helpful votes
5. Re: What Type of Adaptor Plug for Vietnam

-----------------

Depending where you are in Vietnam, there can be 2- or 3-prong sockets. I travel with a 2-prong (round-pin) adaptor that accommodates UK, EU and US plugs and fits into both types of socket.

----------------

when you say 3 "prong" do you means US style with ground or the absolutely crazy UK version? Brits were never in VN so the place should be clear of that horror :-) I know that because they drive on the correct lane but like crazy...

Boca Raton, FL.
Level Contributor
166 posts
6. Re: What Type of Adaptor Plug for Vietnam

Maurizio04,

I mean the "crazy" type of UK 3 prong plug that is used in England. Last year in Thailand and Cambodia I used the two prong round plug that used in Europe.

As for the driving part, thankfully they drive on the correct side of the road. I'd really be in big trouble - I have heard the stories of how crazy the drive.

I'm glad I don't have to bring the UK kind of plug. It makes it easier.

Thanks so much.

Meningie, Australia
Level Contributor
331 posts
43 reviews
57 helpful votes
7. Re: What Type of Adaptor Plug for Vietnam

im confused, has any one got a link to a photo. And im Australian so what you mean about roads is it same as America/ Europe?

Boca Raton, FL.
Level Contributor
166 posts
8. Re: What Type of Adaptor Plug for Vietnam

WazzaTroy,

From what I understand they drive on side of the road like Europe and the US, not the UK. I don't have a link, but I'm sure someone else will.

Sheffield U.K
Level Contributor
997 posts
11 reviews
12 helpful votes
9. Re: What Type of Adaptor Plug for Vietnam

Hi

From what i have seen they drive were ever there is a space

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,949 posts
13 reviews
22 helpful votes
10. Re: What Type of Adaptor Plug for Vietnam

Good grief! In a couple of hours the discussion has morphed from electrical adaptors to the "correct" side of the road on which to drive in Vietnam.

Wazza: photos here, but don't have a nervous breakdown - most sockets are standard fittings that accommodate two round pins:

adoptvietnam.org/travel/electronicsplugs.htm

flgirl: do have a nervous breakdown - legally all vehicles should drive on the right-hand side of the road, but as DM says, people drive wherever there is space. Such fun, especially on a blind bend on a mountain road with a sheer drop on one side.