We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small Gifts for Vietnamese Kids

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Small Gifts for Vietnamese Kids

I'm sure that as we are traveling around Vietnam my kids will become friendly with plenty of local kids along the way . I would like to take some small gifts with us from Australia to be able to give to the local children. Does anyone have any ideas what they really like? It would have to be things that are small & light as we are traveling with hand luggage only.

Thanks in advance :)

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small Gifts for Vietnamese Kids

KoStargazer, (nice name by the way but whilst in Vietnam you will not see any stars in the sky like we do in Australia),

Anyway onto what you were discussing, I has on previous trips given our coins to the children, there are 6 of them and they all have interesting animals on the back of them and the children really like them. It was the only thing that seemed to make any sense for me.

Hope that helps,

Keren

Hanoi, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small Gifts for Vietnamese Kids

a small stuffed Kaola with a flag of Australia that can put onto pens, kids like them.

Victoria
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Small Gifts for Vietnamese Kids

some of those small zippy cars that you slide back on the back wheels and let go and...zip off they go! They are always good fun

pgh, pa
Destination Expert
for Da Nang
Level Contributor
2,684 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Small Gifts for Vietnamese Kids

Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!

Drifter

www.vnfrom.blogspot.com

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small Gifts for Vietnamese Kids

Thanks guys .... Regarding the chocolate Drifter - I guess you mean to buy the chocolate at the time in Vietnam or else it is going to melt !!

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,713 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Small Gifts for Vietnamese Kids

Not to mention giving sugar-rich sweets to children whose parents are too poor to pay for dental care - like medical care and education, dentistry is not free for most of the population in Vietnam. Ok, one or two chocolates wouldn't do too much damage ... as long as there are no cavities to begin with.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Small Gifts for Vietnamese Kids

What do you suggest Creaking bones? I thought of small bouncy balls, pencils,stickers etc but don't want to give anything which is cheaply available for them in Vietnam :)

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,713 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Small Gifts for Vietnamese Kids

That's a tough one Stargazer and it really depends on where you plan to visit.

I have taken presents for children (pens, notepads, colouring books, coloured pencils and the like), but they are children who live way off the beaten track and whose parents are very poor indeed.

For children who your kids befriend in the more popular tourist haunts, I rather like TravelSense-Asia's suggestion, but in miniature for ease of carrying: teeny, weeny koala bears.

Keza's suggestion of small Australian coins seemingly has merit too, although there is very a disturbing trend in a few areas for local children's English to be more or less restricted to "Give me money".

All in all it's a minefield!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Small Gifts for Vietnamese Kids

For the record we will be based in Hoi An for a month .... While we are there we are heading to Bac Ha - Sa Pa - Hanoi for 8 days and then another week to Hue & Phong Nha staying at some of the more remote places along the way :)

Brisbane, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Small Gifts for Vietnamese Kids

Glad I found this topic, as I was wondering the same thing.

We are travelling to Vietnam and Singapore and I wasnt sure on the level of ( trying to be politically correct) kids asking for money on the street? I generally try not to give money to kids on the steet, and would rather give something that the kids can have themselves. Like toys etc.

Can anyone let me know what is the local customs, as i dont want to offend anyone.

Any info would be great.

Thank you,