We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in March 2011 to vietnam and cambodia

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
111 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Travel in March 2011 to vietnam and cambodia

Please advise- We want to do a trip to cover major attractions -

we have 10 days and want to cover as much as possible and happy to

will fly between places.

Day 1: Hanoi.

Day 2: Hanoi - Halong - Hanoi.

Day 3: Hanoi - Hue.

Day 4: Hue - Hoi An.

Day 5: Hoi An.-Hochiminh

Day 6: Hochiminh - Cu Chi - Hochiminh.

Day 7: Hochiminh - Mekong Delta.

Day 8: HoChiMinh - Siem Reap.

Day 9: Angkor Wat.

Day 10: Siem Reap. Departure.

Please advise on trip and reommend a tour operator

Want luxury/deluxe hotels.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

On Earth
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel in March 2011 to vietnam and cambodia

I think the 10-day plan for both Vietnam (north to south) and Cambodia is not that easy. I would spend 6 day in south Vietnam (Hoi An, Hochiminh) and 4 days in Cambodia. The rest is for next time.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel in March 2011 to vietnam and cambodia

Im trying to plan a similar trip except I have 13 days to work with and Im planning 8 days in Vietnam from Hanoi to Saigon, 3 days for Angkor Wat, and 2 days in Bangkok. Im finding it quite hard to fit everything in as well.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,700 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel in March 2011 to vietnam and cambodia

Sorry tigersmom, but that itinerary is completely unfeasible as you would spend all your time travelling and see nothing of the places you mention.

Day 2: the Hanoi-Halong Bay-Hanoi journey by road takes about 7 hours, leaving just a few hours to take to the water on Halong Bay.

Day 3: deduct travelling time and you will have only a few hours to see Hue. That is most certainly not sufficient.

Day 4: Ditto Hoi An.

Day 5: ok, that's manageable.

Day 6: 1/2 day HCMC, 1/2 day Cu Chi - why bother?

Day 7: a day trip to the Delta is doable, but hardly an in-depth experience.

Day 8: ok.

Day 9: just 1 day at Angkor Wat - we're back to why bother.

I apologise if all that sounds harsh, but you really should have a good look at a map in order to comprehend the distances involved, and then investigate the travelling times between destinations. As it is your plan sounds like a nightmare rather than a satisfying holiday, and a luxury hotel won't help one jot.

As for recommending a tour operator/travel agent, yes there are some who could arrange that itinerary for you, but not one who could do so and hold their head up with pride.

Ontario
Level Contributor
449 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel in March 2011 to vietnam and cambodia

That's why, even given 17 days, I've opted for a northern itinerary in Vietnam with just 3 or 4 destinations! (See my itinerary elsewhere in this forum.)

Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel in March 2011 to vietnam and cambodia

At first, when I saw your post, Mom, I was sure it was a joke.

But then I saw you were from Winnipeg, and your sense of humor is probably frozen.

As Creak said, rather kindly, "unfeasible"

Surprising, because you seem to be a seasoned traveler....

Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel in March 2011 to vietnam and cambodia

Ooooops..... hit "submit" by mistake.

My suggestion to you, Mom, if you're limited to 10 days only, is to stay south Vietnam and Cambodia only. Land in HCMC for a few days, cross over the Mekong to Cambodia, visit Siem Reap, finish in Bangkok for your flight home.

Good luck

merseyside
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel in March 2011 to vietnam and cambodia

we are going to Vietnam arriving 4 Mar returning 22 Mr 2011. Plan to start in Hanoi from Singapore arrive at 11.30 at night. Next day to Halong Bay 3D/2N tour, back to Hanoi that evening. Next day to Hue by Lavitrans train arriving next day in Hue. Number of days in Hue then onto Hoian then to HCMC, then Phan Theit. Want to end in a beacc resort to rest before returning home. Not sure how many days in each resort. Planning 5 in Hanoi/Halong Bay. Where is best to go via train (see more that way). Would like to all by train but may not be a good idea. Any resort shouldn't miss. Should we stay in Hoi An for several days. What about Nha Trang?

Sorry little time to organise trip for 5 Adults and getting bogged under with all the plentiful info.

Cheers pam G.

8. Re: Travel in March 2011 to vietnam and cambodia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2011, 06:16