We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camel Travel, Open tour bus, Vietnam

Ware, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
24 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Camel Travel, Open tour bus, Vietnam

Having read a few messages since my time with Camel travel I thought I'd just add a few more words, there is the old addage that you get what you pay for (I paid $35), but Camel just have no respect for their clients. I have traveled from Hanoi to HCMC with Camel on their sleeper buses stopping off at various points along the way. Be prepared for a combination of the following in my expereience;

Bad driving

Shouting from drivers and their co-drivers

Smoking drivers on a no smoking bus

Toilets out of order

Poor quality 'beds' that fail to recline

Locals sleeping in the ailes

Your luggage to get wet whilst in the hold

Rain water to come through the bus to your sleeping area

Distinct lack of leg room (although I am 6'2")

Bugs in and around the inside of the bus

With regards to the taking off of shoes, it is courtusy to take your shoes off when going in to a Vietnamese house so I gathered it was a similar thing with regards to getting on the bus.

But at the end of the day I took the tour from opposite my hostel as it was cheap, convient and got me to my destination , but it doesn't harm to do some research, I would just say find someone else and they can't be half as bad.

132 replies to this topic
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
668 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camel Travel, Open tour bus, Vietnam

Thank you for your comments.

Vietnam Exotic Tours.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,576 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camel Travel, Open tour bus, Vietnam

A friend in the tour bus bia told me that Camel us partnered with T.M. Brothers to run north of Nha Trang. Unfortunately, packing the isles with sleeping locals is a common complaint.

Owee

www.owee58.con

Huntington Beach...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camel Travel, Open tour bus, Vietnam

I also got bad experiences with Camel (partner of T.M Brothers-bus company). Stay away from them as much as you can. Also use them if you have no choice. The problem of picking up additional travelers (local Vietnamese) along the road to get extra money for drivers is ignored by the T.M. Brothers’ top managers. They don’t care about customers as soon as they get your money. There is a new bus company called Cuc Tung, which has newer and cleaner buses. You pay for the same price as T.M. Brother/Camel, but get better services. However, the problem of picking up additional travelers along the road is also happened with Cuc Tung.

Hanoi, Vietnam
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Camel Travel, Open tour bus, Vietnam

WHATEVER YOU DO DON"T BOOK CAMEL

This company is horrible, and I usually settle for the cheapest and crappiest companys, but this one is unbearable. We booked in Hanoi and got to Hue just fine but then we were told our connection to Hoi An was full and we would have to wait until that afternoon to get to Hoi An. This was irritating, but okay since we had kind of wanted to see Hue anyways. However, they just dropped us off in Hue and told us another bus would pick us up at another address (which none of us had any way of knowing where it was) Then, cycle taxis came to try and take us to this location (for a fee). We eventually got on the afternoon bus to Hoi An and when we set out to confirm our next journey from Hoi An to Siagon, again the women told us it was full. We had planes to catch in Siagon, but the womans only suggestion was that we book from another company (no refund). She would accept no responsibility for this full bus ( and no one anywhere in Hanoi mentioned that the once daily buses could be full, delaying our travel). They oversell, have people in the isles, and have not functioning bathrooms. Don't expect to make it anywhere on time with this company. They will push you around, yell at you, and you are at the whim of whatever they say. Trust me, I have been on some terrible busses in Southeast Asia, but none of them have treated me so poorly and been as irresponsible and unrelyable as Camel Tours.

5. Re: Camel Travel, Open tour bus, Vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2011, 12:04

Barcelona, Spain
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Camel Travel, Open tour bus, Vietnam

Camel Travel are really the rudest and ignorant drivers I have ever met. I have been traveling in Indonesia and Asia for 8 mounths now and never ever met so unfriendly people, treating tourists as animals, pushing especially girls around in the buss as we were worth nothing and playing load musci the whole night while smoking in the bus!!!. I wish I had never booked with them !!!!

Seoul, South Korea
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camel Travel, Open tour bus, Vietnam

Camel Travel, Open tour bus, Vietnam:

Our experience is bad: poor condition of the busses:

some windows broken and replaced by cardboard; shock-absorbers are just springs making the bus bump and shake permanently; seat cushions worn-out so a 12h-ride is just torture; of course not a single working reading light.

We witnessed also some very aggressive behavior of some staff member towards a traveler at the station in Hue.

There are better companies out there, don't take Camel travel.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camel Travel, Open tour bus, Vietnam

I so agree with you:

I just had a horrible morning today (17th of March'11). One of the bus drivers from the Camel Tour Bus (we were going from Nha Trang to Mui Ne) saw me with flip flops (clean flip flops, I had already taken 3 buses so I knew I could were clean ones inside of the bus) and HE HIT ME on my foot a few times ... after that he took my flip flops and through it on the bus corridor and start shouting "Your are no good, you are no good"

He became hysterical. I've seen quite a few tour guides going crazy on that way, but never a bus driver (and he smell alcohol)

I got scared.

After 2 stops he came to apologise ... but on my opinion it was too late already.

Please, take some other buses ... DO NOT USE CAMEL TOUR BUS

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camel Travel, Open tour bus, Vietnam

Hi my name is Luah and with my husband we are doing a round world trip reporting articles about culture to our country, Brazil. This is my second big trip to Asia and just this year (2011) is our 4th mounth around lots of countries in this continent.

We AGREE with all of the commenteries, all of them are absolulety truth !!!!

We had the worst night of our travel, a nightmare !!

Our driver was the worst and rude driver we ever saw in life !! We couldn't sleep because we were stressed and in panic with the dangerous overcrossings all over the highway. All the times he put us in a very big risk !!

This is really truth that they pick up peaple all the time, and when the bus became full, the local peaple stayed in the middle of the aisle. The driver charge those peaple personnaly without a ticket.

Our arrival time was delay in 2 hours because he stopped more than 30 times ...

And one more datail ... he passed more time by the mobile, driving with only one hand and with the other he passed ALL the way ringing the bus bell !!

Please dont choose this unbelivable company.

Good luck for all of you

10. Re: Camel Travel, Open tour bus, Vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 September 2011, 00:05

Reply to: Camel Travel, Open tour bus, Vietnam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted