We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Facebook in Vietnam

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Facebook in Vietnam

For all of those who cannot access Facebook in vietnam due to teh censorship by the ISP/government, and ahve found that proxy websites do not give you full access, try the following program which can be found at

http://www.ultrareach.com/

Just dowload the file and run the program and it will allow you to access Facebook as well as any other censored site.

Hope this is helpful for some of you, I know I was very grateful to have this information shared with me.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Facebook in Vietnam

There's also the Tor Project.

http://www.torproject.org/

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Facebook in Vietnam

Also if you want to access facebook while in Vietnam and you have your own laptop do this

change your computer IP configuration

to use the following DNS server addresses:

Preferred DNS server: 208.67.222.222

Alternate DNS server: 208.67.220.220

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,418 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Facebook in Vietnam

Freaky - changing DNS settings doesn't work anymore. You need to use Ultrareach or Tor to get full Facebook access. www.lisp4.facebook.com gives you access to your news feed but doesn't allow you to post links, use apps, follow links or see photos.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,244 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Facebook in Vietnam

All I've done is altered (added) the DNS settings in the Hosts file ....seems to work for nigh on everything on FB. Maybe I'm lucky. For some reason I have to resize photos when uploading but no big deal.

But C&G is right about the Preferred etc DNS server trick. No longer works.

Perth
Level Contributor
457 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Facebook in Vietnam

Do you still have issues with Facebook in Vietnam?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,418 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Facebook in Vietnam

The DNS change works with most ISPs though I have a friend staying in the Huong Sen hotel in HCMC at the moment - government run - & he can't get on even with the changed DNS settings.

Hopefully Mr Zuckerberg's recent visit will help ease things a little bit...

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
238 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Facebook in Vietnam

I actually created my facebook account in Vietnam, in the Hanoi Backpacker's hostel. Suppose they found a way around the block :)

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
759 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Facebook in Vietnam

We were just there, and had absolutely no problem accessing facebook on our iphones or ipads with the wifi in hotels and restaurants.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,658 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Facebook in Vietnam

depends on the city and hotel. (hanoi/halong/nha trang no issue) Back in Saigon had to use a proxy.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Facebook in Vietnam

We have travelled from South to Central VN & are currently in Hue. We've had no problems anywhere yet.