We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we buy US dollars

Sydney
Level Contributor
470 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Should we buy US dollars

Hello,

Should we buy US dollars now in Aus before we travel to VN to pay our tour operator for our hotels and transfers or just use our credit card?

Your thoughts please.

Can you also suggest the best way to buy US dollars and how we go about it.

Thanks

g

Glenys

Maitland, Australia
Level Contributor
421 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Should we buy US dollars

You can exchange your AUD for USD online at "Travelex" and you will not be charged a fee. Good time to do it now that our dollar is so strong against the USD. :)

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Should we buy US dollars

Aussie dollar is very strong now,bring Aussie dollars as you get more at banks and gold shops than you do for the US$.Cash is king here and easy to change.Use atm's for backup and take out the max to save on bank fees.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,424 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Should we buy US dollars

bowenarrow

Bertie where was that ? Handy to know. I have seen and used many ANZ machines but I havn't had a result like that. Sure they didn't miscount the zeros ? Cheers Ross

--------------

In Hanoi Ross.

Sydney
Level Contributor
470 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Should we buy US dollars

My husband went to the post office and the rate was 98cents exchange so he thinks we will just pay via credit card and save all the worry.

We are not good at all this travel currency and he feels we wont save much for all the trouble.

thanks once again

Glenys

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,424 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Should we buy US dollars

AUD is currently riding high against the USD and is easily changed for Dongs. Don't bother changing.

The black market rate for USD yesterday was 21000 vnd and is only 200 dong adrift off the official rate of exchange. There were a couple of gold shops in District 5 (Cholon) changing money but whether just for people they know, I couldn't tell you.

Sydney
Level Contributor
470 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Should we buy US dollars

69Bertie, we are not worried about changing Aus dollars into Dong, it is our hotel, transfers and tours which we have booked via a travel agent in VN which was quoted in US dollars and must pay on arrival in VN.

That is why I was asking which would be the best way to go. Either pay via our credit card or buy the exact amount in US dollars now.

Glenys

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,532 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Should we buy US dollars

Glenys as it is illegal for Hotels and Tour operators to charge in USD i think what you are doing is running the risk of 2 lots of currency conversions by whoever you are dealing with. As its illegal to bill you in USD the Hotel may well make a cuonversion from USD into Dong to make the transaction legal and then make another conversion so that you can pay in AUD cash. The risk of unfavourable exchange rates being used against you seems worse than the bank charges on Credit or Debit cards in my opinion. Of course you can buy USD before you go but you may well end up being short or having small USD left over.due to exchange rate movements.

Cheers Ross

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Should we buy US dollars

SydneyGlennie it is illegal for anyone in Vietnam to demand payment in US currency. As stated elsewhere, dollar prices are quoted purely for convenience as there are far fewer zeros and dollars are more universally understood than dong.

That said you can pay in dollars if you want to, but only if you want to and you can opt for dong or credit card.

Sydney
Level Contributor
470 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Should we buy US dollars

bowenarrow and creakinbones, I will say that I am totally confused with all this change of currency. We have never really worried before as I have said our bills just seem to go on credit card.

We have never worried before about the charges from one currency to another on either paying via credit or drawing from our cash card.

People talk and I guess I started listening. So wondered which way to go.

I think I understand what you are advising me.

thanks

Glenys

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Should we buy US dollars

If this is of any help Glenys, when in Vietnam I use my credit card to pay very large bills and my debit card to withdraw cash to cover day-to-day expenses.

The only cash I take is a relatively small amount in my home currency just in case there should be a hiccup with one of my cards.