We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family holiday in September

Rylstone, Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Family holiday in September

Hi - we are a family of four, two adults and kids aged 9 & 11. We are looking at the following itinerary for a visit to Vietnam in September and was hoping to get some feedback about suggestions of things to do with the kids while in the various places, and whether our choices are good ones concerning accomm and travel. The plan is to fly to Hanoi - 2 nights staying in old quarter, Halong Bay - one night on junk (any suggestions as to which one?) - overnight train (four berth soft sleeper or Livitrans?) to Hoi An, then either 5 nights at Cua Dai hotel Hoi An, 5 nights Danang or 5 nights at Nha Trang, then o/night train back to Hanoi and fly out from there. Heard some negative things about the trains, but also some great stuff so a bit worried about that element. The kids love the pool and beach and snorkelling would be fun, but not essential. Trying to have as budget conscious holiday as possible. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,115 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family holiday in September

For decent priced hotels, tours I would pick Nha Trang over Danang. Choice of different beaches north and south of the main beach. Plenty of islands for snorkeling and other water-sports. Safe for the kids to run around the beach and town by themselves..

2. Re: Family holiday in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2011, 15:23
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family holiday in September

Any more advise for the above poster as I also would love to hear about the trains. Also planning to travel April 2012 with my two childrent of a similar age. Thank you?

san leandro
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family holiday in September

Sounds like we are going on a similar vacation! We are heading to Vietnam in late June with two kids in tow, also ages 9 and 11 (both boys). I've been doing a lot of research, and pretty much have most of the trip ironed out. Where our trips differ is that we're heading to the south instead of the north so we can also tie in Cambodia. But, we also want to end our trip on a sunny beach where the kids can lounge around and enjoy the ocean after two weeks of travel. We decided on Hoi An, as opposed to Nha Trang. The thing that appealed to me about Hoi An is that it sounds like there is more to do there besides just beach. Hoi An sounds like a lovely town with a lot to do. We're staying in the area for a week, and plan to spend some time on the beach - but also do a bike trip, maybe a cooking trip and other day trips in the area. Also, we can always take the train to Hue to if we want. I felt like the area had a lot to offer. Also, as far as flying vs the train...I thought the kids would like the train, but ultimately we decided to fly between Saigon and Danang. It saves a lot of time, and the price is pretty reasonable (about $50 each way), Good luck on planning your trip! We're really looking forward to ours.

Edited: 31 May 2011, 02:56
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family holiday in September

A lot of the bad comments on trains are from people that have higher expectations than they should and find fault with everything. From my experience, most of the trains are just fine. Be sure to get soft sleepers. If you are concerned about the clenliness of the bed covers (again, I have never had an issue), purchase silk or nylon sleeping bags before you leave your arraival city.

Here is a link for things to do in Nha Trang

owee58.com/2010/…

Owee

www.owee58.com

Rylstone, Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family holiday in September

Great minds think alike - we have pretty much decided to stay most of the time in Hoi An now. I was thinking the same about the trains - just not sure but might now have a rethink after Owee's comment. Bike trip, cooking trip all look great and I also think we might do the overnight snorkelling trip to Cham Island - have you looked at that? I think my kids will love it, especially camping on the beach (food on that trip looks amazing, too). Good luck with your trip!

hue
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Family holiday in September

Hi Roses273,

I have the same idea to Owee about the train. The trains do not stop in Hoi An, so you have to arrange a van for your family to Hoi An from Danang station. Or you may want to stay in Hue ( why not?, when it's seem that you have alot of times) 1 nights or you'll have 3hours more on the train to Danang. Then the next day, drive to Hoi An...Cham Island is the right place for your kids to do snorkeling. If you stay in Hoi an 5nights, Why don't you stay in Nha trang instead of Danang or you can stay in Hoi An more nights and stay in Nha Trang 2 nights.

fodors.com/community/asia/private-guides-in-…

Edited: 31 May 2011, 10:30
san leandro
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family holiday in September

Roses273,

The overnight snorkeling trip to Cham Island sounds great - is there a particular one that you're looking into? I haven't checked into that yet, but I'm sure my family would love it!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family holiday in September

I agree that the overnight trip sounds great, we have also decided to stay in Hoi An 7 nights, so much to do. We will probably fly from Ho Chi Ming to Danang stay in Hoi An and then take a train from Danang to Hue, its is meant to be an amazing journey but only 2/3 hours. That will give my son his train fix. Overnight in Hue and then fly to Hanoi. Its fun planning. Anyone been give the heads up on any accommodation. We would like a family room - two double beds - and a hotel with a pool. They seem in short supply in Vietnam. We found this no problem in Thailand.

san leandro
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family holiday in September

That's been one of the hardest parts about planning our trip! (finding family rooms in hotels...). They're not that easy to come by. I tend to email the hotels directly and ask if they will accomodate us in a triple. I've had luck that way. In Hoi An we're going a little more up market (Hoi An Beach Resort). They can accomodate four in a room, but like most hotels, they charge for the extra bed. Don't have recommendations for your other destinations since we're traveling mostly in the South.