We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Give up passprt to hotel??

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,576 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Give up passprt to hotel??

This topic has been discussed many times in the past and there have been many people who have declared that photocopies are good enough. Well!!!! not always so...

I do not like to associate myself in the hotel business but for the purpose of this post I must.

Our Hotel was visited by the police a few days back and after intruding on our registered guests, discovered that one foreigner had refused to leave their passport with the recepton. We had taken a photocopy trying to appease the guest, but it was to no avail. The hotel fined enough that the whole months profits are gone, and perhaps the next.

Please, please, please......do not get upset or combatitive with the poor receptionist wanting your passport. They are only doing their job, and your refusal could cost a person their livelyhood.

Perhaps stay in 4 and 5 star hotels.... they seem to be exempt from this kind of thing.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Give up passprt to hotel??

I can attest to the fact that Sheraton in Nha Trang and Sai Gon hand back the passports immediately. They never asked to keep them.

They also get an imprint of the credit card and we just placed the passports in the in room safe.

Same was true for the Six Senses Resort.

Edited: 13 June 2011, 19:18
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,888 posts
1,619 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Give up passprt to hotel??

Ive never had to give them up and I never stayed in any 5 star hotels in Vietnam.

I suppose all of us are reluctant to give up our passport as if its lost or misplaced it can cause a lot of grief.

Tommo

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Give up passprt to hotel??

Sounds like you need to cultivate closer ties with the local gendarmes Owee! A mate of mine was GM at a resort in Mui Ne a while back. Used to have the local police chief over for drinks once a month, which ensured that his hotel was rarely checked, and when it was, photocopies were more than sufficient. A couple of bottles of Johnnie Walker should do the trick - these guys aren't fussy and don't expect single malt :)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Give up passprt to hotel??

Yeah, it seems to depend where you stay, in Hanoi we had to give up our passports whereas in HCMC the receptionist took our passport filled out the details on a form, took a photocopy and gave them back to us, she also took a swipe of our credit card so we thought the hotels that took the passports it was because they were afraid people would run off without paying.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,576 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Give up passprt to hotel??

We do have "friends" but it is pretty hard for them to prevent this situation after the fact.... Tommo.... beleive me when I say it is in the hotels best interest NEVER to misplace or lose your passport. I also do not always have to give up my passport, ( but I do as I know it is much more secure than in my possession)

I realize that this raildwas just another money grab, but it just goes to show you that there are reasons that some hotels require your passport.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Give up passprt to hotel??

Owee, at least you had some very understanding guests :-)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Give up passprt to hotel??

While we were in HCM we were asked to pay for the room in full when we checked in as we were unable to leave our passports as we were keeping the room to store our bags while we went to the Mekong and needed our passport to show at the home stay. This time when we go we are booked in to a hotel in Hanoi which we are keeping a room while we go to Halong Bay again we are going to need our passports with us for the boat so how does that work. If the hotel visited while we are in Halong bay will they be fined for not having our passports??

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Give up passprt to hotel??

why do you need your passports on the boat at halong? i have never needed mine there and i did multiple trips out - note i was working 45 mins away from the harbour. none of my guests needed their passports either.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,352 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Give up passprt to hotel??

I'd have thought you would need your passport for Ha Long Bay otherwise how is the Junk company going to register you. I see http://www.bhayahalongcruise.com/ mention it on their website.

Maitland, Australia
Level Contributor
421 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Give up passprt to hotel??

I would imagine the Junks have the same guidelines as hotels - isn't the point of having the passport to record where people spend each night whilst in Vietnam? If this is the case you would need them if going on an overnight Halong Bay trip.