We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanoi & Angkor Wat

Townsville...
Level Contributor
146 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Hanoi & Angkor Wat

We have 7 nights off in Mid December & thought of visiting Hanoi & Angkor Wat. Is this plausible or should we be sticking to Hanoi area only? I hadn't factored Saigon in at all as everyone I know has said Hanoi is better. What are your thoughts?

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanoi & Angkor Wat

I think it is a good idea. 1 day for travel and three days in each place, or possibly 4 days in Ha Noi and two i Siem Reap.

Make sure though that you arrange your flights so you do not need multiple entry visa for either country.

Edited: 21 June 2011, 05:54
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,480 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanoi & Angkor Wat

If you only have seven days then I would be inclined to spend it all in the one area.

Either seven days in the Ha Noi area and including an overnight trip on Ha Long Bay.

OR

Seven days in the Siem Reap/Angkor Region as there is so much to see and do apart from the major Angkorean era temple and other sites. Siem Reap/Angkor easily needs seven days given the wide variety here.

All best regards. Ian. Camp Phnom Penh and returning to Hanoi in the morning.

Edited: 21 June 2011, 06:04
Newcastle
Level Contributor
303 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanoi & Angkor Wat

i know this is the wrong forum, but seeing as the subject has risen what else is there to do an Siem Reap? We have 3days there on our way back to Vietnam in Feb 12. Obviously we will see Angkor but it would be great to hear what someone with some local knowledge would recomend.

Colval

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
693 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanoi & Angkor Wat

I would have to agree with Ian that either place deserves your undivided attention for the 7 days. Having been to both places I would certainly go back to Ha Noi and especially a couple of nights in Halong Bay well worth it. I could not stand all the people in Siem Reap at the Wats I have never seem so many tourists in one place and not being able to get photos of what I wanted. But do not let me stop you going to Siem Reap is well worth a visit anyway without the Wats.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanoi & Angkor Wat

I went on a 6 hour boat trip on the Tonle sap lake .

Newcastle
Level Contributor
303 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanoi & Angkor Wat

That sounds like something I would like to do. Is that something that is easy to organise yourself & approx what would the cost be.

Many Thanks

colval

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanoi & Angkor Wat

I do not remember. I was on a tour out of HCMC back then and the boat trip was arranged on the fly, so we just paid a little extra. The interesting part was that the people on the boat and everyone else around that part of the lake were Vietnamese, not Cambodians/Khmers.

If you ever plan to bring some gifts, those people would be worthy recipients. The area is extremely poor.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
146 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hanoi & Angkor Wat

Is Hanoi full of poverty or is Saigon worse?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hanoi & Angkor Wat

3 days isn't really enough for Siem Reap. Personally I would forget Hanoi and spend the whole trip in Cambodia - a couple of days in Phnom Penh then the rest in & around Siem Reap. The town is lovely, and as well as the Angkor Wat complex you'll want to get further out & visit Banteay Srei, Beng Mealea and the amazing pyramid at Koh Ker. Hanoi simply isn't in the same league.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
146 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hanoi & Angkor Wat

That isnactually not a bad idea thanks! What the temp like in mid december in Cambodia?